Solved

Different Veeam instance/server connecting to 1vmware vcsa

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We have VMware private cloud, consists of different VMs for different customers, technically is has 1 center. We have a separate infra of backup, with them as a backup solution, different Veeam instances as well for different customers,

Now we have ongoing project for backup and provisioned veeam instance1  we will connect to the vcenter of our vmware private cloud and assuming it will be successful, moving forward for veeam instance2 3,4, and so on and we will use as well the existing vcenter for different instances. Is there any problem or error since Veeam instance1 already connected to the existing center? Then definitely we will connect other Veeam instances2, 3,4… Thanks

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 26 October 2021, 16:40

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @JustineP,

I have to move your topic to Discussion Boards, as it’s a discussion, and Blogs and Podcasts section is for blogs and podcasts :relaxed:

I hope it makes sense! Please, make sure to publish your questions further in Discussion Boards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I am not sure if I understand your configuration completely.

You can connect one VBR server to several vCenter without problems.

And you can connect several VBR servers to one vCenter. You have to make sure that you don’t use too much resources of the vCenter in this case.

I don’t have experience with VMware private cloud so far, therefore I cannot say for sure. But in my understanding it should work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We have VMware private cloud, consists of different VMs for different customers, technically is has 1 center. We have a separate infra of backup, with them as a backup solution, different Veeam instances as well for different customers,

Now we have ongoing project for backup and provisioned veeam instance1  we will connect to the vcenter of our vmware private cloud and assuming it will be successful, moving forward for veeam instance2 3,4, and so on and we will use as well the existing vcenter for different instances. Is there any problem or error since Veeam instance1 already connected to the existing center? Then definitely we will connect other Veeam instances2, 3,4… Thanks

Yes you can connect multiple VBR servers to one vCenter server.  I have this working in my homelab without any problems. I know it is not production but it will work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The only problem I see to keep the vcenter inside the rest of the structure is that if the relative vm goes corrupted, the backups become irrecoverable. This is from my experience, if one of Legends wants to prove me wrong, so much the better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The only problem I see to keep the vcenter inside the rest of the structure is that if the relative vm goes corrupted, the backups become irrecoverable. This is from my experience, if one of Legends wants to prove me wrong, so much the better.

This is where you use the file backups for VCSA and not Veeam for the vCenter if that is what you are referring to.  You should not back up vCenter with Veeam typically as the newer 7.x should use the file level backups in the appliance then you just reinstall and restore the file backup for recovery.

If I am off base let me know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure to what you are referring…

If you are referring to a corrupt vCenter, we do the file level backups of a vCenter and do additionally a snapshot backup. This is because we had one time the problem that there was a problem in the vSAN and the configuration files of the vCenter VM (.vmx, .vmxf, .nvram...) were gone. The vCenter itself was intact. So, we had to restore the VM files only...

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This is where you use the file backups for VCSA and not Veeam for the vCenter if that is what you are referring to.  You should not back up vCenter with Veeam typically as the newer 7.x should use the file level backups in the appliance then you just reinstall and restore the file backup for recovery.

@Chris.Childerhose you've hit the base perfectly!

@JMeixner yep, let's assume the case in which VCenter is corrupted and veeam’s task selected vcenter itself as center backup (and consequently the various other vm). Without the original vcenter active and fully functional, the rest of the backups can’t get recovered. (i'm assuming vcenter and other vm share the same hardware)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Chris.Childerhose you've hit the base perfectly!

@JMeixner yep, let's assume the case in which VCenter is corrupted and veeam’s task selected vcenter itself as center backup (and consequently the various other vm). Without the original vcenter active and fully functional, the rest of the backups can’t get recovered. (i'm assuming vcenter and other vm share the same hardware)

Yes, for this scenario we do the file backup of the vCenter - with the VCSA, not with Veeam. With this we are able to recover the vCenter in the case the vCenter gets corrupted. The snapshot backup is additional only for this very special case we have experienced..

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Right: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Right: 

Yes that is the link I should have posted.  Thanks Wolfgang.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Key advice:

Make sure any accounts connecting to vCenter are scoped, you don’t want instance1 being able to modify instance2 for example

Comment