Difference in allowed number of active SOBR extents between VBR v11 and v12 Enterprise Edition

Userlevel 1

I found out there is a difference in the allowed number of active extents for an SOBR in VBR Enterprise Edition which could cause your backups to fail after upgrading from v11 to v12.

This is the documentation for v11 (3 active extents max.):

And this is the documentation for v12 (2 active extents max.):

This is not mentioned in the release notes and it turns out you don’t get a warning during the upgrade.

I raised Support Case 06063519 for this issue, this is the response from Veeam Support:

I understand that the change in the policy is not desirable, but unfortunately, I'm not able to comment on the decision process behind this; and regrettably, I have tested in lab to upgrade a v11 Veeam environment that violated the new SOBR limitations, and I did not receive a warning during upgrade either.

I am sorry to hear that this situation occurred, as historically Veeam has tried to be very transparent in all such matters, but I'm afraid that I cannot find where it was advertised.

I have already reported this to my higher management and they're addressing it with the correct teams.

As for the current situation, I'm afraid that due to the licensing restrictions in place, we will not have any solutions except for the item provided, putting the additional extents into maintenance mode or upgrading the licenses to an edition which includes Enterprise Plus (ENT+) level. I wish I had a better item to offer, regrettably due to the licensing limitations, we cannot work around this.

Regards,

Sven

2 comments

Userlevel 1

Sorry, I am “not a newbie anymore” but I actually I am “very much a newbie”. I wanted to post this to the whole community, not only VUG Netherlands because I posted about this issue there already. Please ignore, I’m finding a way to do this correctly…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Snefdude :) I moved this one to Discussion Boards. 

Comment