Dell EMC PowerProtect adds Transparent Snapshots

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Just saw this VMworld session of Dell/EMC’s PowerProtect backup solution:

• Protect Your Virtual Infrastructure with Drastically Less Disruption [SEC2764S]

Then I read this article about Transparent Snapshot with Dell/EMC in vSphere:

https://www.storagereview.com/news/dell-emc-powerprotect-adds-transparent-snapshots

First I thought this is a new feature in vSphere 7 U3. But at second glance it is something different. It seems, Dell installs some VIB in the ESXi host. This daemon/service monitors all changed blocks of protected VMs and reports these at backup time. So no vSphere Snapshot is needed.

Does anyone knows more about this feature/technology? Am I correct in my assumptions?

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I saw this on the Veeam R&D forums the other day:

New backup snapshot technology in ESXi 7.0U3? - Veeam R&D Forums

The post links to this:

VMware to introduce technology which prevents freeze of virtual machines during backup | UP2V

Which reads as a new daemon being deployed to handle the interaction to avoid stuns, but apparently it’s VMware technology that they brought to market with Dell EMC first (no surprise there!).

The daemon has an API that backup vendors can use to interact, and it seems Dell are achieving this by the use of a VIB.

I need to watch the VMworld session now…

That second link did have a link to a Dell whitepaper but it 404s now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I saw this on the Veeam R&D forums the other day:

New backup snapshot technology in ESXi 7.0U3? - Veeam R&D Forums

The post links to this:

VMware to introduce technology which prevents freeze of virtual machines during backup | UP2V

Which reads as a new daemon being deployed to handle the interaction to avoid stuns, but apparently it’s VMware technology that they brought to market with Dell EMC first (no surprise there!).

The daemon has an API that backup vendors can use to interact, and it seems Dell are achieving this by the use of a VIB.

I need to watch the VMworld session now…

That second link did have a link to a Dell whitepaper but it 404s now.

Checked ESXi/vCenter release notes yesterday. No info about this.

BTW: Its not always, Dell is the first with new VMware features (example: vVOL) :grin:

Comment