Solved

Data Protection and lifecycle management

Userlevel 3

I’m a bit confused as to where the line is drawn between VEEAM and S3 compatible cloud storage providers and their data protection settings. Does VEEAM do the settings for data retention and immutability, or should those be set in the cloud storage provider bucket? Or is it a mash up of both?

AKA; I can set Immutability in WASABI at the bucket. If I do not set the bucket immutability there, will VEEAM set it for me if it is configured for immutability or retention?

I’m trying to figure out who controls the data lifecycle / protection. Or what the correct way to manage it is.

Thanks, *Dave

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 27 April 2022, 19:58

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You need to set any S3 storage Immutability at the vendor level and then also at the Veeam level as well - together.  Veeam cannot set it at the bucket level for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Dave,

The S3 storage configuration is done exclusively by your S3/S3 compatible vendor. If they’re on the Veeam compatibility list (https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner-technical-programs.html). This guidance should always be followed though: https://www.veeam.com/kb4241

Veeam will control the data retention settings etc, but the configuration of the storage and what functions are enabled/disabled etc are by the vendor as they vary so much.

If you’ve got a vendor in mind, look at what documentation they may have for Veeam integration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You have to enable the immutability at the S3 storage. Then Veeam can use this feature.

Veeam will manage the retention of the files it writes to the object storage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

To answer your specific questions: if you left immutability disabled, Veeam couldn’t control this. They just set an attribute for immutability per object with an immutability end date, if wasabi is configured not to accept that, then it’s simply not set.

But Veeam will control your retention point side of the data lifecycle.

Userlevel 3

OK, I got it. Veeam is in charge of the retention Policy, and the Vendor “WASABI” in my case, lets me control the Immutability. Their settings are pretty easy to setup. I guess there is some BRAIN WORK involved regarding VEEAM retention settings and making sure they don’t conflict with the buckets’ policy as well. If Veeam tried to clean up and the bucket had its policy set longer than Veeam's’ policy, then the bucket would not allow that to happen. But I do understand that VEEAM can’t turn on the S3 bucket’s immutability feature.

Thank you all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

OK, I got it. Veeam is in charge of the retention Policy, and the Vendor “WASABI” in my case, lets me control the Immutability. Their settings are pretty easy to setup. I guess there is some BRAIN WORK involved regarding VEEAM retention settings and making sure they don’t conflict with the buckets’ policy as well. If Veeam tried to clean up and the bucket had its policy set longer than Veeam's’ policy, then the bucket would not allow that to happen. But I do understand that VEEAM can’t turn on the S3 bucket’s immutability feature.

Thank you all.

Glad that helped. Be sure to mark an answer for others to reference. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you all.

Wasabi has a standard minimal retention period of 90 days for billing purposes only. You can delete the objects prior to this, but you will be billed for at least 90 days for each object.

Userlevel 3

Joe, Thanks, that is good to know.

Wasabi has a standard minimal retention period of 90 days for billing purposes only. You can delete the objects prior to this, but you will be billed for at least 90 days for each object.

The retention period for billing purposes for objects stored on Wasabi is 90 days. This means that you will be charged for a minimum of 90 days for each object stored on Wasabi, even if you choose to delete the object before the end of the 90-day period.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The retention period for billing purposes for objects stored on Wasabi is 90 days. This means that you will be charged for a minimum of 90 days for each object stored on Wasabi, even if you choose to delete the object before the end of the 90-day period.

Exactly, this is what I intended to say. 😎

And for Veeam customers the minimal retention is 30 days.

Comment