data domain with gateway server

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
  • Comes here often
  • 35 comments

I’m new on using veeam and data domain

base on this article 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/dell_dd.html?ver=120

if i want to make data domain as backup repository, I need to deploy a gateway server in backup infrastructure to make communication between backup proxy with dell data domain

is there any other way to do backup with veeam and dell data domain without deploying a gateway server in my backup infrastructure ?

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 17 June 2023, 18:46

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No  @dika ...you have to have the Gateway server because Veeam uses a ‘Data Mover’ to move the data & can't install it on the DD device 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please reference the User Guide , as it appears you have already 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

could I deploy a gateway server as virtual or it must be a physical ? 

is a gateway server same as tape server ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No...it can be virtual. It is just recommended to be "near" your DD device 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No...a GW server is different than a Tape Server. A GW server assists Veeam in performing Backups. Tape Server is used for Backups performed via tapes 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Gateway Server:

Tape Server

Hope that helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

well, does veeam need 2 data mover at least in backup job to transfer data from source to target(backup repository) ? 

if gateway server and tape server is different, where is veeam data mover on backup tape infrastructure ?

correct me if Im wrong

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, as shown in the graph above.

As far as for Tape Servers...the Data Mover is installed on the Tape Server, since it is a Windows device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

...as noted in the ‘Tape deployment’ section of the Guide:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@coolsport00 thanks for the answer, it helps me a lot 😀 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure thing. I will say...I’ve been using Veeam about 12yrs or so now. Their product in the early yrs wasn’t too bad, complexity-wise. It still isn’t “horrible”, but with all it has integrated and added feature-wise the past 4-5yrs, the complexity has indeed increased!

Comment