Skip to main content

Hello.

Is there a way to receive by email a daily report of the status of the backups that ran ?  Successes and fails.

We do not have SCCM.

Thanks

Eric Garneau

Yes you set up job notification emails. See here - Configuring Job Notification Settings - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

There is also the Global Email Notifications as well here - Configuring Global Email Notification Settings - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

If you prefer after each job run then the first post is the one to look at for jobs versus the global one.

Thanks Chris but I was hoping for a consolidated report instead of an email for every job.

Thanks Chris but I was hoping for a consolidated report instead of an email for every job.

Ah ok.  Then you might need to look in to Veeam ONE as the reports from VBR itself are minimalistic versus the ones you can get from VONE.

Check it out here - Free IT Monitoring and Reporting Tool - Veeam ONE Community Edition

Also the Global Email notification option would do this but it is sent at a specified time if that works.

Hi Eric,

Have a look at the MyVeeamReport powershell script here.

If you schedule this on a daily base and tune it with the correct parameters and timings, you have your consolidated detailed daily report.

Hi Eric,

Have a look at the MyVeeamReport powershell script here.

If you schedule this on a daily base and tune it with the correct parameters and timings, you have your consolidated detailed daily report.

Aweseome! Nice share @kristofpoppe 😊 I keep forgetting about that tool.

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

Please be sure whichever direction you take to mark one of the previous posts as the Best Answer.  It can even be one you make once you decide which tool you use.

Ok I get this message running the script :

“Warning : This cmdlet is no longer supported for computer backup jobs.  Use “Get-VBRComputerBackupJob” instead.

Script requires VBR v8 or greater.”

I have VBR 12 installed.

Probably your license includes Enterprise Manager. It has a daily report: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/em_notifications_on_job_results.html?ver=120

MyVeeamReport.ps1 script is a nice script and I like the project, but I think it’s overkill for many people unless you have the powershell knowledge to customize it to your liking and troubleshoot it.

Consider the Enterprise Manager daily report I believe it’s what you’re looking for, and unless you’re on some older perpetual socket, I’m pretty sure you’ll be licensed for it.

@egarneau - does the error state what cmdlet is deprecated/no longer supported? If so, try replacing that cmdlet in the script with Get-VBRComputerBackupJob

If you do have EM installed, may be worth looking in it to see if reporting fulfills your needs as @ddomask shares. If not, may be more complexity than you want just for a report. Your choice though.

Probably your license includes Enterprise Manager. It has a daily report: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/em_notifications_on_job_results.html?ver=120

MyVeeamReport.ps1 script is a nice script and I like the project, but I think it’s overkill for many people unless you have the powershell knowledge to customize it to your liking and troubleshoot it.

Consider the Enterprise Manager daily report I believe it’s what you’re looking for, and unless you’re on some older perpetual socket, I’m pretty sure you’ll be licensed for it.

Enterprise Manager might be another great alternative and one I tend to forget about.  😋

Sorry to interject, but it’s almost certainly that the script uses Get-VBRJob and there are Agent backups there.

Probably the script calls Get-VBRJob quite a few times so I think it’s better to just add the -WarningAction ContinueSilently flag to each instance of Get-VBRJob as replacing it everywhere will probably break more than it fixes, but I haven’t checked the script in awhile.

And while I get EM might seem like much for a consolidated report, it’s already available and pretty light and if it’s installed right on the backup server itself, then pretty much no complexity involved as the connection is local; no need to even use it much besides reports, but it does offer some nice functionality.

While I like the script, the problem is:

• Maintenance of the script -- cmdlets will change as will syntax, i’m not sure
  • Troubleshooting -- it’s a very detailed script, it can take awhile to debug when there are errors and it can be difficult to research powershell issues if you’re not already fairly familiar with powershell
  • Script uses unsupported .NET Reflection and methods, which aren’t documented so you _really_ need to know a bit about what you’re doing if it goes bad.

If none of that sounds scary, well, no objections. I think if one is not comfortable with Powershell personally, Enterprise Manager or VeeamOne will be the better overall way to get the report.

Finally, I have setup Enterprise Manager! 

Thanks again!

Glad to hear @egarneau 😊

Great to hear and EM should hopefully give you what you need.  Let us know regardless.

Comment