Skip to main content
Question

Changing the temp location for VB&R 12.1

Is there a way to change the temp location that Veeam B&R uses for the console?  We have a script that cleans out the C:\Windows\TEMP directory nightly and when it does, we can no longer launch the VB&R console.  I get an error “Access to the path ‘C:\Windows\TEMP\Veeam\$VeeamUpdates’ is denied”

If I create C:\Windows\TEMP\VEEAM I can launch the console.

The script is from our management software and I am not sure if changing the system variable will make a difference.  That is why I am asking if there is a way to change it in VB&R itself.

Thanks

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

By no means am I an expert on this, but I’m not aware of a way to do this.  Clearing the Windows temp nightly seems…..aggressive.  It may be worth opening a support ticket for this to see if there migth be a registry key that can be used to redirect the temp files to another location.  Assuming that the location can’t be changed, can your script create an exclusion for the Veeam folder, or contain logic that if the folder exists, recreate it after it has been deleted?

Userlevel 5
Badge

@ddb_ES 

I tried to reproduce this in my lab. I deleted the Veaam folder located inside C:\Windows\Temp\Veeam\$VeeamUpdates

I launched the VBR Console it created the Veeam folder again and I did not have any issues accessing the Console. Is it not creating the folder automatically for you?

Secondly within VBR I did not find any option to change the path. You can wait for expert opinions.

You can also try creating a symbolic link if that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @ddb_ES -

Something as “egregious” as that is certainly a question to be asked by Veeam Support as Derek suggested. You want to be sure you’re not messing with other components which might use that location so really it’s best to open a ticket. I get wanting to keep your systems “clean”, but the Temp folder shouldn’t be causing much of an issue with disk space or otherwise.

@liyakat_versatile 

When I launch VB&R it does not create c:\windows\temp\veeam

If I rename the folder to c:\windows\temp\_veeam and launch I get the error message.  If I rename the folder back it will launch.

@coolsport00 I was asking here just to see if anyone else has come across this type of issue. The same automation runs on 11 other client VB&R servers and only one has this issue. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@ddb_ES - yep, understood. Your best bet is to reach out to Support though to see if they can better explain the behavior your’re experiencing.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@ddb_ES  Thanks for updating us.

Agree with @coolsport00 

Support should be able to investigate further.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Did you see this KB article?: https://www.veeam.com/kb1825

Userlevel 5
Badge

This KB…appears to be about a different issue, but does mention how to change the c:\windows\temp folder/location: https://www.veeam.com/kb4283

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

This KB…appears to be about a different issue, but does mention how to change the c:\windows\temp folder/location: https://www.veeam.com/kb4283

@RonV - the 1st KB you shared solely refers to log folder/location change.

The 2nd KB, though discussing the Temp folder, shares on how to change the Temp location for ancillary VBR component servers, not on VBR or Console workstation itself. The Reg Key may be the same on VBR as component servers, but without the KB explicitly stating so I still recommend using Veeam Support for proper process/procedure for doing this on the VBR server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @ddb_ES  -

I’m just following up on your post here. Do you still have any questions? If so, please don’t hesitate to ask. But if any of the provided comments helped answer your question, we ask you mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @ddb_ES -

I’m just following up again on your post. In re-looking at your original post, you “run a script to clear out the TEMP folder and then are unable to open the VBR Console” unless you recreate the Veeam folder inside the Temp folder. I had an idea. At the end of your script which deletes the contents of the TEMP folder, why not add a line to recreate the Veeam directory:
BATCH cmd: mkdir C:\Windows\TEMP\Veeam 
PoSH cmd: New-Item -Path “C:\Windows\TEMP\Veeam” -Type Directory

Let us know if you still need assistance. If any of the above comments helped you out, please mark one as Best Answer so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @ddb_ES  - were you able to get a resolution to this issue?  If so can you post it here and then if any of the previous posts helped to answer your issue mark that as best answer or if none of them do you can mark your answer as best as well.

Comment