Skip to main content
Question

Cant install veeam B/R

Trying to install Veeam 12.1.2.172… from a downloaded ISO.   Setup goes to the 2nd screen, to tell me that it needs to be run by an account with Local Admin privs.

Same result on 3 machines - 1 physical and 2 VMs.  Two standalones and 1 Domain connected.

Any ideas?

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Make sure the account you’re using is a local or domain administrator account

Also, I don’t think Windows 2025 is officially supported yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Are you running the installation as a Local Administrator account?  I assume so but just checking.  Otherwise you might need to reach out to Support as I know Win2025 is not a fully supported version for VBR at the moment.  It “works” as I have it running but that was an upgrade from Win2022.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for asking, gentlemen. 

Tried both under local admin, as local root (Sudo) and as an Domain Admin (also Enterprise Admin).  Same exact results. 

As this is an attempt at a trial, not sure support will answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thank you for asking, gentlemen. 

Tried both under local admin, as local root (Sudo) and as an Domain Admin (also Enterprise Admin).  Same exact results. 

As this is an attempt at a trial, not sure support will answer.

Are you able to install a Win2022 server instead of 2025?  That is probably the easiest thing right now to get it working since 2025 is not supported yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hmm...well, at this point, the main suggestion is to try Win 2022 as Chris suggested since it’s a current supported OS:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/system_requirements.html?ver=120#backup-server

Support can probably for sure answer since you are a potential customer (assuming you’d go with a paid version). But, they would probably suggest as we did → to go with a supported OS first.

Userlevel 4

You could always try and run it in compatibility mode for a different version of the OS and see what happens. 

Pretty certain it won’t work, but since it is a test what do you have to lose?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I recall someone saying that they tried a VBR deployment in the 2025 beta release, but as this is not supported, unless you're just playing around with things, I’d recommend backing of to Server 2022 as that’s the latest supported OS at this time.  I can’t recommend playing around with different options such as compatibility mode unless you’re open to additional troubleshooting, etc in the event of errors or failures.  I want my backups to work reliably, so for that reason, I’d recommend going the supported route.  But again, if you’re just playing around with things, by all means explore away - that’s a great way to learn, but I just wouldn’t use that configuration for production.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Gabriel55 - did installing Win2022 help with your trial or did you get it working on Win2025?  Just following up to see if you require further assistance on this matter?

Comment