Solved

Cannot backup a VM with a GPU

Userlevel 3

Investigating another issue where 2 VM’s have GPU’s thus VMware will not allow a snapshot of the VM’s. I am sure this question has been asked before, how can I backup these VM’s? They are running on vSphere 6.7 and the machines are Red Hat Linux 8 using an NVIDIA GPU.

Also have a question about the jobs. All the VM’s were added using the vCenter server at the top level. So when these VM’s fail it seems to me the entire job get’s killed. These 2 VM’s fail, then I get a message all VM’s have been queued for processing and then a job error/failure message and it ends.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 18 March 2022, 19:40

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, use Veeam Agent for Linux to back up the VMs from within the OS.

The second point doesn’t sound right, would be worth checking this with support

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Investigating another issue where 2 VM’s have GPU’s thus VMware will not allow a snapshot of the VM’s. I am sure this question has been asked before, how can I backup these VM’s? They are running on vSphere 6.7 and the machines are Red Hat Linux 8 using an NVIDIA GPU.

Also have a question about the jobs. All the VM’s were added using the vCenter server at the top level. So when these VM’s fail it seems to me the entire job get’s killed. These 2 VM’s fail, then I get a message all VM’s have been queued for processing and then a job error/failure message and it ends.

Does the Veeam Console say what the error message is specifically?

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

On the left hand side how many VMs are in the list generated? This looks as if it only has those two VMs to process.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

This looks as if it only has those two VMs to process.

It must be the automatic retry. :) Looks like the entire job has failed, but it’s only the retry that‘s failed with the two vms.

Userlevel 3

Okay here are bigger screen shots-

Job with error:

Inventory:

I blurred some items intentionally. The job status shows this whole job lasted only 45 seconds or so. I showed the lower pict to demonstrate that we are picking up the inventory at the vCenter level and all those VM’s should be included in the job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I blurred some items intentionally. The job status shows this whole job lasted only 45 seconds or so. I showed the lower pict to demonstrate that we are picking up the inventory at the vCenter level and all those VM’s should be included in the job.

Check the history menu in the vbr console and you will see, all other vms are successfully backed up in Run 1 of this job. What you see is Retry 1, Retry 2 and Retry 3. Your Failed Job with the two vms.

After the third retry, job is failed permanently. But only for this two vms and not all other. There were successfull in Run 1. You can confirm that in the history view.

Userlevel 3

Okay I see them under Backups/Disk. Thank you for your patience!

Comment