Solved

Can VBR server also be WAN accelerator ?

• 12 January 2024
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge
  • Comes here often
  • 21 comments

Can my physical VBR server also be a source WAN accelerator ? Can my target repository server also be the target accelerator? 

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 12 January 2024, 16:14

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The User Guide doesn’t explicitly state it isn’t allowed. But, this VBR role can tend to use a LOT of CPU/RAM resources. So make sure you scope your VBR server for the proper resources to use it as such. Veeam BP Guide recommends having a dedicated server for the Accelerator role.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

BTW..yes, your target Repo can also be an Accelerator. But again..make sure to scope your server resources appropriately (refer to User Guide Sys Req’s for recommended resources).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@coolsport00 is right that you’ve got to be sure you size for the appropriate resources on this, which will vary depending on whether you’re using low or high bandwidth mode and whether you want to use the VBR as your source or target size WAN accelerator (I know you’ve said as source but just mentioning this anyway for future readers). As for your backup repository, if it’s a Windows server yes: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/system_requirements.html?ver=120#wan-accelerator

Userlevel 5
Badge

Both servers have a lot of cpu/memory/disk so I think I am good to go to use them also as WAN accelerators. I will monitor resource usage before and after though, just to make sure

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sounds good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Both servers have a lot of cpu/memory/disk so I think I am good to go to use them also as WAN accelerators. I will monitor resource usage before and after though, just to make sure

good to know, just an extra footnote that disk speed will be of fundamental importance too, have a read of WAN Accelerator | Veeam Backup & Replication Best Practice Guide if you haven’t seen this page before. Basically, put your cache on SSD or faster when in low-bandwidth mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep, I shared the same link above. 🙂 But good point about disks Michael! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Arin -

I think we addressed your question, correct? Any futher info you may be needing on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Arin -

Were any of the comments beneficial in helping you with your question? If so, could you mark one as a ‘Best Answer’ to benefit others in the Community who may have a similar question?

Thank you.

Comment