Solved

can't use non "administrator" account for connecting to Hyper-V host

Userlevel 2

I’m sure I’m overlooking something obvious -- 

Veeam is running on a Windows 2022 server on the domain.

When adding my non-domain Hyper-V host (Windows 2022) to the Veeam managed servers, the only credentials that work are hostname\administrator. Any other account on the Hyper-V host with full administrative rights is failing with --

“Failed to connect to host XX.XX.XX.XX

Access denied or timeout expired.

Check if you you have local administrator privileges on computer ‘XX.XX.XX.XX’.

Possible reasons.

1. Invalid credentials.

2. Specified host is not a Hyper-V server.” 

I’d prefer to disable the .\administrator account on the Hyper-V host, so I’d love to know what I need to do to get my non .\administrator accounts working with Veeam. 

Thanks, 

Chris 

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 16 April 2024, 19:10

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A user with administrator access should work.
This server has UAC enabled? If so, disabled to have a try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @cdmoore1972 -

This is a known issue & is not Veeam-related, but a Microsoft security measure.

The error you’re receiving doesn’t occur with Domain accounts. It occurs only with local accounts; even with local admin accounts. The problem occurs due to remote UAC restrictions. To mitigate the issue, do the following:

After you perform the above, go back to your Veeam server and test your credentials again, using the local account format: hostname\username. It should then be successful.

Let me know.

Userlevel 2

Disabled UAC on the Hyper-V host, rebooted the host, but still can only connect Veeam to the Hyper-V host with the hostname\administrators account.

Chris 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is the non-administrator account you are trying to use part of the Local Administrators group?  Ensure that is the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Disabled UAC on the Hyper-V host, rebooted the host, but still can only connect Veeam to the Hyper-V host with the hostname\administrators account.

Chris 

@cdmoore1972 - did you try the process I shared?

Userlevel 2

Hi @cdmoore1972 -

This is a known issue & is not Veeam-related, but a Microsoft security measure.

The error you’re receiving doesn’t occur with Domain accounts. It occurs only with local accounts; even with local admin accounts. The problem occurs due to remote UAC restrictions. To mitigate the issue, do the following:

After you perform the above, go back to your Veeam server and test your credentials again, using the local account format: hostname\username. It should then be successful.

Let me know.

We have a winner. 

Thanks a bunch. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Glad to hear it resolved the issue 😊

Comment