Solved

Can anyone guide to take backup from QNAP

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

Can anyone guide me as to how to take backup from QNAP using Veeam B&R community version. 

I tried various ways such as create protection group but it is not able to install veeam agent and likewise but not able to configure.

Please advise

Manish

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 19 April 2022, 15:57

View original

18 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, unless it’s a VM running on QNAP that you’re trying to protect, an agent isn’t the right way to go. You want to look into the NAS backup feature

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve noticed you’ve posted a lot of topics on different questions, might I suggest writing down what you need/want to achieve and how you think you’ll get there, then what questions/problems you’re having difficulty with.

It sounds like you’re new to Veeam, it may be worth attending some training in the product, as you’re using Veeam Community Edition (believe you mentioned this in another post), a consulting company can’t help you until the product is fully licensed, but it might be worth mentioning the country you’re in to see if anyone here knows of a consulting company in that country

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, unless it’s a VM running on QNAP that you’re trying to protect, an agent isn’t the right way to go. You want to look into the NAS backup feature

Yes will definitely want to look at NAS backup feature of Veeam for QNAP.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Since questions are different thats the reason I have posted separately. 

Secondly I may move to licensed version but before want to check all those features which are useful to me, thats the reason using it. 

Based on your comment, I believe that there is no solution to take backup directly from QNAP to external HDD using Veeam - Is it ? Please advise

I am from India - Ahmedabad and I am aware about the OEM partner but since I am using Community version they are not willing to help thats why I am here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is it an SMB/NFS share on your QNAP or are you running VMs on the QNAP Virtualisation Station?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Secondly I may move to licensed version but before want to check all those features which are useful to me, thats the reason using it. 

Based on your comment, I believe that there is no solution to take backup directly from QNAP to external HDD using Veeam - Is it ? Please advise

I am from India - Ahmedabad and I am aware about the OEM partner but since I am using Community version they are not willing to help thats why I am here.

The feature you are looking for is the NAS backup.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_support.html?ver=110
Don’t let you confuse that it is the helpcenter for vSphere, the NAS backup functionality is the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes there is no direct backup method as noted unless you are running SMB or CIFS like Michael mentioned.

Userlevel 4
Badge

It is QNAP-TS-873 

The scenario is such that regular backup was taken from Server to QNAP using its native app. Now since the QNAP is creating issue I need to delete the volume / format it and take fresh backup.

Before doing it I want to take all the data from QNAP to external HDD using Veeam B&R Community, thats why I want to configure it as.

I think it is SMB.

Manish

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It is QNAP-TS-873 

The scenario is such that regular backup was taken from Server to QNAP using its native app. Now since the QNAP is creating issue I need to delete the volume / format it and take fresh backup.

Before doing it I want to take all the data from QNAP to external HDD using Veeam B&R Community, thats why I want to configure it as.

I think it is SMB.

Manish

Then NAS backup with Veeam will work with SMB.

Userlevel 4
Badge

How to configure it can you advise, since I tried creating protection group but gives error since it cannot install agent on QNAP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

A protection group is for Veeam Agents, instead you create a NAS backup job. From the home section create a new NAS backup job. See this link: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_backup_job.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

A protection group is for Veeam Agents, instead you create a NAS backup job. From the home section create a new NAS backup job. See this link: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_backup_job.html?ver=110

This is how to do it ☝🏼

Userlevel 4
Badge

I already have the backup jobs created which is my destination to which I will copy data, but where can I configure source i.e QNAP from where I want to copy data.

The above link is to create backup jobs which I already have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/file_share_support.html?ver=110
Don’t let you confuse that it is the helpcenter for vSphere, the NAS backup functionality is the same.

Please have a look at the link I have posted before. There is the whole process described 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I already have the backup jobs created which is my destination to which I will copy data, but where can I configure source i.e QNAP from where I want to copy data.

The above link is to create backup jobs which I already have.

There are different backup jobs for different types, you mentioned protection groups, which are for agent backups, which a NAS isn’t. So can you confirm you’ve created a NAS backup job? And you may have deployed it if so with some integration your NAS doesn’t support such as VSS.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have got a video from from youtube of Veeam Channel itself. I am trying to follow the same steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have got a video from from youtube of Veeam Channel itself. I am trying to follow the same steps.

Okay let us know how it goes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Please have a look at the link I have posted before. There is the whole process described 🙂

Confirm, that guide is super useful.

Comment