Question

Build replica environment

• 24 November 2023
  • 3 comments

In theory could I use Veeam bu&r to completely rebuild my datacenter environment (VMware) on new esxi hosts? I have been tasked to build 2 identical rigs with the same SSO, domain name, IPs etc on seperate vSan ready nodes. Rather than do this twice I wondered if it possible to mirror the build using Veeam. 

I’ve picked up the limitation with vGPU enabled desktops. Are there any more gotchas that I need to worry about??? If the new esxi hosts had the same fqdn/ip would Veeam throw a wobbly and no it’s a new target environment?

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, what do you mean by rebuild? Shifting your existing VMs to new hosts? If so, yep!

If you mean identical between two clusters then we need more information, is one active and the other DR and you plan to failover VMs between them? If so, yep!

But if you mean to have 2x active environments with the same VMs, that will give you no end of nightmares, up and down the technology stacks. With identical active IP addresses you wouldn’t be able to route traffic between the sites without NAT (which would add further headaches), you’d have issues with any identity platforms like AD, and yes Veeam would also potentially be confused where data needs to be delivered.

Hopefully I’ve answered the question but otherwise please clarify with more details 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

The ESXi hosts can’t be duplicated. you can use Veeam to clone or replicate your VMs, however, the ESXI hosts must be unique.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Jc296 -

I’m just following up on your post here. Did any of the provided comments help answer your replica environment question? If so, could you select the one which helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit?

If not, feel free to ask any further questions you may have.

Thank you.

Comment