Solved

Best way to give the Veeam backup server for Microsoft 365 an address (IP or name) for Restore Portal config??

We have begun our 30-day trial, going very well. Except we have no servers (all in the cloud) and need to assign an IP address to a Windows 11 PC which will serve as our Backup PC.

Would like to hear from others who have been through this - how did you make that backup server addressable to create a restore portal? Can we somehow use one of our spare domains from Microsoft 365? We’ve been wracking our brains with little to no technical support and I think the question is best addressed in a group such as this. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by doug-ppc 12 March 2024, 02:36

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Typically the restore portal for VB365 is an external URL associated to a DNS name (IP as well).  I work for an MSP so we have our own domains to use.  Not sure how a M365 one would work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

How do you want to access the restore portal? Anywhere in the world publicly? Or within particular networks?

If you want it to be publicly accessible and trusted you’d need to use a domain (one you own not a .onmicrosoft.com suffix), adding DNS records that point to your services, and then getting a trusted SSL certificate for access. If you don’t want it to be publicly accessed but just within particular networks or accessed anywhere but only via a secure mechanism you could use a VPN to remotely access for example.

Depending on how far you feel comfortable with this it might be worth looking at Veeam Data Cloud or an MSP’s offering.

We are all working from home and have no network, per se. Don’t know if we can use one of our extra M365 domains but the most attractive option in there is one we saw at CyberGhost - dedicated IP with VPN. Our MSP is local and shies away from giving out IPs unless we have our own router.

CyberGhost? Or is there another vendor with a better rep?

Thank you for your replies and guidance.

What we ended up doing was using a TP-Link router, adding a free dynamic DNS hostname (of our choosing) from NOIP.com. We had to use the router’s Port Forwarding to get the incoming Http traffic to go to the PC where the Veeam software had been installed (forwarding to port 4443). And the final config was to open port 4443 on the destination PC’s firewall. (made sense as well to give the Veeam software PC a reserved IP instead of the usual DHCP address)

Now with our workforce entirely in the cloud and working from home, I am able to perform backups on our Veeam trial and have my boss review them using Veeam Explorer from his PC a hundred miles away. And, since we already owned the router, it cost us nothing. We now have the flexibility and power to get the most out of our Veeam software.

Thank you again for the support given in this forum.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad to hear you were able to come up with a solution to your issue.

Comment