Question

Best method to move a performance tier (part of SOBR) to ReFS

Userlevel 3

Hi All,

I have a client that is running a 2012R2 Veeam server, that I’m replacing with a 2022 server. The plan is to have the data drive on this new server formatted with ReFS to take advantage of the space saving. I’ve came across the Veeamover feature in V12, but I’m not sure if I can use this to move just the performance tier of a SOBR. I still require the SOBR to function and retain history of the VMs in the cloud.

Is this even possible? Or is there another way that I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance 

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In order to move your backups you will need to first attach the new Win2022 server as a repo to move the data with VeeaMover.  That would be the only way otherwise you are starting over.

Userlevel 3

Thanks Chris, could I do this even if the Performance Tier is part of a SOBR?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, it’s absolutely fine and supported. Add your new repo to the SOBR as a new performance tier extent, then evacuate your backups from your existing SOBR extent.

details here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/sobr_evacuate.html?ver=120

once done you can remove your old extent from your SOBR and decommission it from Veeam 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep, agree with Michael. I've preformed this process in my environment a few years ago. Just follow the process Michael provided. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yep exactly what was posted by Michael above will work. ☝️

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That method will work to migrate everything all at once.

You wouldn’t necessarily need to do it that way though, if you don’t want to wait for that entire extent to evacuate. When no backups are running, you can seal the extent and run one of your backup jobs. That should force a new active full backup for VMs in that job and will target the other extents of the SOBR (if you have only two extents, old and new, the job will target the new extent). Let it run and depending on your retention policy the old extent will get cleaned up. Unseal the extent if you want to keep the other jobs targeting the old extent in the meantime. Rinse/repeat until all jobs are done.

You may want to use VeeaMover instead and move everything at once, but I wanted to throw this out there as an option in case you wanted to take a different approach. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Once this has been completed, assuming VBR is running on the old server and it’s not just a repo server, hypothetically speaking of course, would you then deploy Veeam to the new server and migrate the configuration database, or would you migrate Veeam first and then perform the Performance tier swapsies?  Just curious as I was staring down this exact path, but decided that my new server will be used as a Linux Hardened repo and won’t be included as part of a SOBR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I would deploy Veeam to the new server and migrate the configuration database, then move the performance tier over. 

Userlevel 3

Thank you everyone for the guidance. I’ll give this an attempt today and see how I get on!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi @Adrian_c  welcome, 

Actually now with version 12 you can move backups from one backup repo to another as written by paul

for v11 this guide

VBR-VCC Storage migration data backup SEAL mode | Veeam Community Resource Hub

regards

Comment