Solved

backup servers running backup of same workload

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey guys,

If I have deployed two backup servers in my environment and those servers are backing up the same workload, will it result a failure in the jobs of any backup server?

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 18 March 2022, 10:46

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It should not but if you have two servers why not do a backup copy or replication to the other instead of backing up the same workload twice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It should not but if you have two servers why not do a backup copy or replication to the other instead of backing up the same workload twice?

That could also be performed but my query is what I asked 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That could also be performed but my query is what I asked 

Then no there is no issue backing it up twice with different backup servers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have running this scenario by myself, too. There are no problems. I think you should see that both server do not backup the same VMs at the same time, because of duplicate VMware snapshots. But I did not test this up to now...

In my case the second server is a test server… 😀

Userlevel 3
Badge

Maybe there can be problems if both servers backup the vm at the same time and the first snapshot is deleted before the second one. But I think you need to test this scenario :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose, @JMeixner & @bb5890 have answered the question itself, but I’d like to ask a follow up on this if I may.

Is there a particular scenario you are experiencing where you require this?

Just like having dual-AV solutions installed or utilising multiple backup vendors. Two different applications performing the same tasks will always invite risk.

First and foremost, scheduling is a key consideration, any overlap will most likely cause issues with both backup jobs, this could be from an application aware processing level, or at the snapshot level. This will result in an increase in administrative effort to maintain.

Secondly, I’d invest time in making sure backup validation is deployed and working, due to this increased risk, no point having a workload that is clearly important enough to be backed up multiple times, but no resources spent on ensuring the backups are clean & healthy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have running this scenario by myself, too. There are no problems. I think you should see that both server do not backup the same VMs at the same time, because of duplicate VMware snapshots. But I did not test this up to now...

same suggestion as Joe :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Exactly, there could be a conflict of snapshots, but never got a similar case before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I’m curios what the effect on CBT would be

Comment