Solved

Backup Server Recommendations?

Userlevel 1

Hi,

i work for an MSP where a lot of clients are small businesses still using Shadowprotect. (even larger clients..) not always setup by us, but as we onboard them we want to start converting to Veeam.

Certain smaller clients have physical machines acting as the Veeam B&R Console + backup repository with WD RED NAS HDD’s (only for the purpose of a backup destination, not a failover/actual backup server - due to $$)

I’m trying to design a standard quote to help our sales team for a certain client type that doesn't mind spending a bit more money.

Thinking of a Lenovo SR250 Maybe?? as the “entry level” Veaam setup(virtualised). (if clients require faster recovery against host failure of their production servers then a custom quote would be created for more of a 1:1 setup)

I just want something that will still allow for replication failover (run replicas decently)

So consider this, most these clients have a Domain controller VM, File Server VM, and MAYBE exchange VM.

The backup server host would reside on-site.

1. I want the Backup server host, to house the Veeam B&R Console VM using Windows Server 2019, this VM would be called a “VBRC”
  2. The backup server host would have storage configured as a RAID 6 or Raid 10.(RAID 10 if i go a SR250)
  3. If the clients production host failed and we needed to failover, the backup server host should be decent enough to run the VM’s that are down - do the VM’s run from the backup files or will it create VM’s using spare storage? do i need to account for storage based on the backed up VM size to allow for this?

Still got a lot learning testing to do of course.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 29 July 2021, 08:38

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Lots of questions there so let’s try and break these out and help, the main issue we’ll have is there are a fair few manufacturers out there so we can only advise with the ones we’re familiar with.

I couldn’t see a mention of Hyper-V vs VMware for this, so I’ll be giving generic advice that applies to both.

I primarily deal with Dell for infrastructure and the best option for something like this IMO is the Dell PowerEdge R740XD, but it gives you a good idea of what’s possible and what to look for in your preferred vendor.

Most Dell servers have the option of a BOSS (Boot Optimised Storage Solution). This is a RAID 1 two drive system used for the OS of the physical device. Now Dell don’t support VMware on SD cards, BOSS makes the most sense here. Especially if you’re using Hyper-V the ability to boot from SSD will help maintain performance.

The Dell R740XD has multiple chassis configurations, you haven’t mentioned actual required performance numbers here so the odds are you’ll have some clients with more demands than others, or some that have a higher standard of performance expectation for DR. The chassis configurations available allow you to use either sole use of or a mixture of NVMe, 2.5” SSD/HDD or 3.5” SSD/HDD. This will allow you to potentially consolidate replication and backup to the same device. If so you could look at a creating a RAID 60 volume based out of traditional spinning disks (or if the data set was small enough you could look at flash storage) whilst using faster SSD/NVMe RAID array for the replication target, with spare disk capacity remaining within the chassis.

If you’ll require more storage than a single server would require but want to keep it as close to a single unit as possible, you could use a single server + a storage shelf via the use of a SAS card to something such as a Dell PowerVault MD1400/1420 to tier out as necessary.

The Dell R740XD supports 1 or 2 CPUs, so you can give yourself expansion room by spec’ing a decent single CPU if that fits your requirements and know you can simply add a second should the customer require it. RAM is of course also configurable…

The R740XD supports up to 100GbE networking so regardless of the switching your clients are using you can find a NIC that will ensure this device won’t be the bottleneck.

Now that the server spec discussion is out of the way, onto your remaining questions:

If you want to start a VM that has been replicated(via traditional or CDP), the storage that the VM was replicated to is the storage that will be used for all of the change tracking. If you’re spinning up a backup however you need to specify either a vPower NFS share (VMware only) to keep the changes on, or a target datastore that the changes can be written to (this datastore needs to be visible within ESXi if you’re using VMware as your platform).

Replication will give you better performance than backup recovery and it can start immediately, that is because the VMs are registered in your target Hypervisor server and are stored uncompressed, ready to start.

Backups on the other hand are compressed and deduplicated to save space, so when you want to restore the entire VM to your DR server you have two options, either a full VM restore which will take potentially a long time but the VM will run faster once restored because its then running natively on the Hypervisor. Alternatively you can use Instant VM recovery which will run the VM from the backup, provided you have a datastore it can save the changes to (see comments above about this or vPower NFS for VMware), this will be slower performance and incur more resource penalties as a result (CPU/RAM requirements to read from the backup etc).

When sizing this DR host don’t forget to size your Veeam components accordingly, the Veeam help Center documentation will tell you the minimum you’ll need for Veeam B&R itself, if you’re using monitoring such as Veeam One, the specs for that, the specs required for proxy (data processing) /repository (data read/writing) roles.

Hopefully this has been helpful, even if a long post! Some of the things I’ve mentioned may have triggered more questions so please don’t hesitate to follow up with further questions as you think of them!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As noted by @MicoolPaul knowing the hypervisor will help to make recommendations.  I also work for a large MSP as well as we are starting to move towards the Lenovo SR550 2U server for our Veeam Appliances.  We previously used HPE Apollo servers with varying configurations but the Lenovo now allows us to standardize this.

If you are using Hyper-V with Windows 2019 on the backup server itself these SR550 units would be more than plenty to run the VMs you have noted as the smallest model has 25TB with 8 core CPU and 192GB of RAM.

We have 25TB, 50TB and 100TB models that we deploy depending on the customer requirements and needs.

Another option to maybe save money could be to have a second Veeam server installed and then you run a Backup Copy job over to that one or even just another server to act as a secondary repository server for this purpose.  Then if the primary server fails you could install Veeam and restore things from the secondary.

There will be many varying opinions on this subject and it will come down to your customers needs vs what they require or can spend.

Always here to chat within the MSP realm of things. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Seeing as Michael and Chris gave you great long answers, can I provide a short answer ….”it depends”?

:laughing:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Seeing as Michael and Chris gave you great long answers, can I provide a short answer ….”it depends”?

:joy::joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

+1 Best Answer :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Short answer :grinning:

Userlevel 1

Thanks everyone.

Thanks heaps for the detailed response @MicoolPaul 

Sorry - we mainly use ESXI.

@Chris.Childerhose funny you say that, i determined the SR250 was not good enough and designed a system around the Lenovo SR550.

• 2x NVME mirror for the ESXI installation.
  • 2x SSD Mirror for Server 2019 OS install for Veeam B&R Console
  • 6x 3.5” Whatever drive size needed in RAID 6 for the repository location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks everyone.

@Chris.Childerhose funny you say that, i determined the SR250 was not good enough and designed a system around the Lenovo SR550.

Sounds like a good build there. Would be interesting to see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks everyone.

Happy to help, let us know how it goes!

Comment