Backup repository naming scheme?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How are you naming your backup repositories (or extents in SOBR) today?

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have at least for my primary and copy Backup repositories the prefix PRI_REPO_ and COPY_REPO in the names. And if there are “special” data in this repo for example RMAN oder something like this. I don’t like to search :sunglasses:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@JMeixner: What about the repo used for your configuration backup? Do you have a repo for replication metadata?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Vendor Name + Conceptual name + Number in production.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Could you share an example, even if fictional?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Could you share an example, even if fictional?

Gondor_Wherewaswhenthewestfoldfell_2758

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@JMeixner: What about the repo used for your configuration backup? Do you have a repo for replication metadata?

It depends, I have an own repo for the config in one environment. And this is the one where the naming schema I have described does not exist… :joy::joy::joy:

Mhh… CONF_REPO_ would be my spontaneous and uncreative idea for this….

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Normally we use something like “HOSTNAME_PATH/DRIVELETTER(_STORAGE)(_TYPE)”. For example:

• MyServer_E
  • MyServer2_G_Config
  • MyServer2_G_SANLUN001

This mainly goes for Windows repos; Linux or other Storage Devices would be similar.

@haslund Perhaps I can add something to your question? :wink: How do/would you name the repository folder in the filesystem? → I don’t have a standard here, bit thought about including the VBR name so it’s easier to find the corresponding VBR server.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

server name_ExtentNumber

svg1sbcka001_01

svg= project name

1 = number of Datacenter

s = host type = server

bck= role/type

a= network area

001= number of server

specific backup repo for configuration backup and RMAN => server name

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Normally we use something like “HOSTNAME_PATH/DRIVELETTER(_STORAGE)(_TYPE)”. For example:

• MyServer_E
  • MyServer2_G_Config
  • MyServer2_G_SANLUN001

This mainly goes for Windows repos; Linux or other Storage Devices would be similar.

@haslundPerhaps I can add something to your question? :wink: How do/would you name the repository folder in the filesystem? → I don’t have a standard here, bit thought about including the VBR name so it’s easier to find the corresponding VBR server.

normally I name the folder like the repository name

In a large deploy, usually follow the 

servername_typeofshare_typeofdisk_number

examples:

SYNOLOGY_NFS_HDD_01

SYNOLOGY_NFS_SSD_01

WS2016FS_SMB_HDD_01

in a small deploy, names are more easy to handle, so I usually use these examples

repo_backup_HDD_01

repo_backup_NAS_01

repo_replica_SSD_01

repo_replica_HDD_01

hopefully helps!

Comment