Solved

Backup issue with two Linux appliances

Userlevel 3

If I backup two Linux appliances (VMware ova) in different backup jobs which have the same SSH fingerprint name but different values so the backup jobs take it in turn to fail after I have trusted the untrusted SSH fingerprint.  They alternate between being trusted.

Is there a way for Veeam to trust both or do I need to look at changing the name on one of the two appliances?

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 29 December 2023, 13:52

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hello @Tippers,
why do the two appliances have the same SSH fingerprint?

And two systems with the same name will cause problems not only in Veeam, I think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Typically, you do not have the same SSH fingerprint for Linux machines as asked by Joe.  I would look at making them both different from each other, so the backups work as expected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What is running inside those appliances and do you need guest processing configured for those? Linux doesn’t have a VSS equivalent, so if you’re not running a database inside those appliances, need file indexing or any kind of pre/post-script, you might think about disabling guest processing.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for your replies.

They don’t have the same fingerprint value, just the same name.  They are FreePBX appliances so the question around the need to have indexing is probably valid so I’ll look at disabling it for that VM.

Userlevel 3

The backup job fails when trying to connect to the VM so indexing isn’t the issue, it’s the initial connection over SSH.

The two VMs are on separate networks so if there is no solution in Veeam to allow both fingerprints, I’ll look at changing the fingerprint on one or both.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

In general, I setup backups for Linux appliances to Backup Only and disable Application Aware Processing.  There are a couple of exceptions I guess as noted,  but I’ve never needed AAP inside of a linux VM so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Would it be a problem to set a different name to one of the appliances?

A duplicate name is a problem in most systems. As you see the SSH key is saved in combination with the machibe name and this is the reason why you have to trust the key each time the other machine is processed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Tippers -

Just following up on your post here. Did you end up getting your Linux appliance backup issue with SSH footprint sorted? Can you share which avenue you took to resolve it? Also, if one of the comments assisted you, we ask you please mark one as ‘Best Answer’ so others who come across your post with a similar issue can benefit.

Thank you.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @coolsport00 

I had to change the name of the appliance which made the SSH fingerprint different and solved the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Appreciate the update @Tippers​​​​​​

Best! 

Comment