Solved

Backup for M365: unable to add repository via SMB

Userlevel 2

Running Veeam Backup for M365 v 7.1.0.1501 on a Windows Server 2002 Standard VM (the VM is AD joined) and trying to create a backup repository on an SMB shared folder on an AD joined NAS on my LAN, and I'm unable to add the repository.

In Veeam, if I go:

"Repositories > Add > Backup to Local Disk > Path"

...then enter the path to the SMB shared folder on the NAS ("\\NAS-NAME\SHARE-NAME\FOLDER-NAME"), I can click "Get free space" and Veeam calculates the correct amount of free disk space (so it seems to be able to see the NAS), but if I click "Next" to add the repository, I see:

"Specified folder does not exist on the backup proxy. Do you want to create it??

If I click "Yes" I get the error: "Access to the path "\\NAS-NAME\SHARE-NAME\FOLDER-NAME" is denied."

I'm able to browse the share in Windows explorer and browse to the folder I'm trying to add.

Veeam is installed on an AD joined VM, and I'm using Windows (AD) credentials to log into Veeam console when it starts up. I've checked the permissions on the shared folder and all subfolders, and "Full Control" is enabled on all for the account I'm using. I'm logged into Windows using same account (AD) I use to log into Veeam.

And ideas what I may be missing?

icon

Best answer by monkthecat 13 February 2024, 18:21

View original

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It looks like you need to just specify the shared folder and not add the “FOLDER-NAME” to the path.

See here - Network Attached Storage (SMB Shares) - Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also something to note on that page above -

Keep in mind that Network Attached Storage repository is on experimental support.

Userlevel 2

Hey Chris: I have tried that, I get the exact same error (but without the added folder name of course)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The other thing to check would be permissions - yes, I know you said you configured them but a double-check is always good.

Otherwise, you could possibly try a mapped network drive on the Proxy server for VB365, but this is not a recommended method either.

Last thing is Support and opening a case.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the tips Chris, I appreciate it. I just checked permissions again, and they all look good (I can browse to the folder via Win explorer, logged into Windows as the same AD account I use to log into Veeam.)

I have the shared folder mapped as a network drive, but it does not show up under the Veeam host if I click “Browse.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So then network mapped drives don’t work and it wants local drive.  So, at this point I would suggest a support ticket if you really needed to get this working.

Userlevel 2

Update: I opened a case with support, and learned that the permissions on the NAS need to be granted to the Veeam server (not the Windows user account used to log into the NAS or the Veeam server). As indicated in “Scenario 1” in the below linked article. Looks like iSCSI is the strongly recomennded config, but SMB NAS is now working.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2971

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad to hear you were able to solve the issue and post the answer to help others.

Userlevel 2

Glad to hear you were able to solve the issue and post the answer to help others.

Thanks Chris, appreciate your replies to help guide in the right direction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks Chris, appreciate your replies to help guide in the right direction.

Not a problem.  That is what we are here for.  😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for posting your answer...I would have not considered granting permissions to the server rather than a user.  Good information to know.  The think I probably would have done differently is connected to the NAS via ISCSI rather than SMB so that it appeared as a local volume and I didn’t have to mess with SMB permissions, etc.  Glad you got it working though.

Comment