Solved

Backup Enterprise Manager account locked out

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Trying to migrate Enterprise Manager to a new Server. I stopped the Veeam services on the old server and disconnected it from the network. I installed the EM on the new server and pointed it to an old DB that was used by the old server. There was a dialogue window confirming that the DB was owned by the old EM server and that it would be transferred to the new EM server.

What happened next is that the the service account was getting locked out. So I had to roll back the changes. Good thing, I did not uninstall the EM from the old server per the instruction on https://www.veeam.com/kb1889 . Curious what happened here.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 29 March 2023, 07:18

View original

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Have you checked the logs under: %programdata%\Veeam\Setup\Temp

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It's always best to follow the KB to the letter! 😅

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I did not see anything significant in the logs. 

And yes, I know somebody going to tell me to follow the KB to the letter :-) 

Appreciate the response, I will give it another try and let you guys know how it went.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

What happened next is that the the service account was getting locked out. 

Where was this user locked out? Windows?

Enterprise Manager couldn‘t login to the VBR server?

Credentials for connecting to the VBR server are encrypted with the machine key from the machine where the EM was installed. When you change the machine, the credentials cannot be read from the new machine. Therefore the password must be updated after the migration. Same for the keysets. They must be exported and imported.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Thanks Fabian for your reply and I believe this was what caused the issue. Lesson learned, I should have created a new DB instead of pointing the new server to an old DB that belongs to the current EM.

Comment