Question

Backup copy job interferes with backup job

• 2 November 2023
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge
  • Comes here often
  • 16 comments

We have configured our backup copy jobs to execute in a continuous mode and hadn’t any issues until the other day.  

Ten (out of 100) of our backup copy jobs failed, with the error of “Unable to copy the backup: some backup files are located on an unavailable scale-out repository extent”.  Checking the restore points on the source and target repositories, we noticed the restore points (for the most recent backup) for the target repositories were in an incomplete state.  We performed the following manual steps to resolve; 

• Disable backup copy job
  • After reviewing the target repository from the backup copy job, the identified servers with the error, have the most recent restore point showing incomplete.
  • Rescan the target repository
  • Then process the incomplete restore points by selecting forget
  • Rescan the target repository
  • Enable backup copy job and execute

We did open a support case and the engineer discovered the issue we experienced stemmed from the backup copy job interfering with the backup job.  Support responded with the statement, schedule the backup copy job to run at a different time.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their backup copy jobs?

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Have not had this myself as copy jobs are always outside my backup windows as best practice.  They can interfere with backup jobs so if you can schedule them outside your backup window it will help.

Userlevel 4
Badge

To make that change to the backup copy jobs would be a challenge since we have so many.  If Veeam offers the continuous feature, you would think the application would prevent it from executing until its associated backup job completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

To make that change to the backup copy jobs would be a challenge since we have so many.  If Veeam offers the continuous feature, you would think the application would prevent it from executing until its associated backup job completed.

That is how it should be for sure.  I will check my environments and see how they are configured.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Veeam support has submitted my enhancement request;

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Veeam support has submitted my enhancement request;

Let's hope it gets implemented sooner rather than later. 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

it make sense,
I normally dont mix my backup window with the backup copy or the replication one, to follow best practice and not to stress too much the environment, but very cool that the enhancement has been applied, and would be a great feature, to cover more needs and use cases.

thanks for sharing this with all of us.
keep us posted if they tell you anything new.

cheers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Probably not of much use, but I have a large’ish estate with 100+ primary copy jobs which all have secondary copy jobs set to continuous. I often see the secondaries kicking in as each server backup finishes, but before the main primary job is complete.

But, I’ve never seen the issue you’re reporting, so I’d guess either environmental or a glitch in the system.

Rob.

Userlevel 4
Badge

This morning as I was checking our Veeam backup jobs on one of our B&R servers, a backup job had retried several times before it finally completed.  As I scrolled through its history two of the servers were failing because the corresponding .vib file was locked by the associated backup copy job (configured as continuously).  After several retries of the backup job, the backup of the servers did complete.

Comment