Solved

backup copy job having separate retention policy

• 2 November 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 2

hi team,

hope everyone’s ok. just wanted to ask and get some ideas/suggestions regarding retention policy on a backup copy job.

first of all, i have on-site a Qnap for local backups and on a remote site another one for copy jobs. local backups have their own retention policy while on remote i have different ones.

from my understanding, backup copy works with forever forward incremental backups and when the retention policy kicks in, i get a full backup of the backup job.

so my question is: shall i add on the retention policy i have set on each backup copy job the “keep certain full backups longer for archival purposes” with a different duration?

many thanks

icon

Best answer by nicolay 2 November 2023, 20:40

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you are correct re: the Backup Mode/Chain Veeam uses for Copy Jobs as noted in #5 in the Guide. Additionally, the main difference with using the Backup job setting vs a Copy Job is those additional backups in your main backup job is on the same storage as your backups. To meet the ‘3-2-1-1-0’ rule, you should place a copy 1. in an offiste location, as you have; and, 2. on a separate storage medium, as you have. So, creating/using a Copy job is the way to go, with retention configured for your org needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And, in re-reading your post, you are actually asking about the Copy Job of keeping Fulls longer for archival...apologies there as I misunderstood, thinking you were talking about GFS within your Backup jobs. You probably want to enable this in your BCJs if you indeed want to keep those backups for a longer period than the original BCJ retention setting...yes. I have this configured as well. This is good not only for legal reasons (for example, if there’s a regulatory agency you’re under for data archival requirements) but also for potential malicious intent recoverability. If you keep...say...3 mos worth of your copied backup data, and it isn’t hampered with (encrypted, or some malware within the backed up data itself), you have a better chance of malicious intent recoverability. I don’t recall the timeframe, but I believe viruses, etc are generally within user data around 6wks before activated. Something to be aware of.

Userlevel 2

Dear coolsport00,

GFS is for BCJ and yes this is what i want to achieve, having them for a longer period of time than what is set from original BCJ retention.

so it’s a good idea to have that as well then.

many thanks for your reply, will enable it to all backup jobs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sure thing. Don’t forget to select a ‘best answer’ if what I shared was helpful to you.

Comment