Solved

Backup Cop Job - Timing - WAN Accelerators Sizing

• 15 November 2023
  • 4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hello Forum,

Since I’m reconstructing everything I would like to seek some advices for WAN accelerators.

We have Primary Site (Austria, Vienna) and Secondary Site (Serbia, Novi Sad).

Backup to Primary:

• Backup Jobs going to Synology LUN that is connected via iSCSI to Windows Server (ReFS 64KB block size) + FastClone
  • From Monday to Friday - Incrementals
  • On Friday - Full Synthetic Backup
  • 21:00 - 22:00 starting of the Backup Jobs

Backup to Secondary:

• I would like to try and implement WAN Accelerators for this so that potentially we have better performance.
  • 2 Source WAN Accelerators. 1 for large VMs and 2 for small VMs
  • 1 Target WAN Accelerator.

Question regarding Backup Copy Job:

• As I’ve read some documentation about WAN Accelerators I checked that Source WAN Acc should have better CPU performance so it doesnt need to be some high I/O performance device and for Target WAN Acc is opposite, is thsi true?
  • Plan is then to use physical Windows Machine with SSD on Target WAN Accelerator
  • How would I approach this Backup Copy job timing?
    • We already had it configured as “Intermediate Copying” and we didn’t have any problems with the network
    • Our Network is 1Gbps on both sites
  • What would be the best option for Initial Seed?
    • It’s not possibly to transfer it physically because of different country at the moment

I would need a general best practices for this.
Don’t know how would it perform without WAN Acc to be honest.

icon

Best answer by Link State 15 November 2023, 15:29

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The biggest thing with WAN Accelerators is sizing them right for resources and disk space. Since they cache information for backups there are certain rules to follow for sizing.

Check this page and at the bottom are the links to each section for sizing, etc. - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/wan_accelerator.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @NemanjaJanicic  

this topic can help. 

Regards

WAN Accellerator sizing & WAN Low bandwidth mode vs WAN High bandwidth mode! | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, this was a really great topic for WAN Accelerators for sure to read over.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@NemanjaJanicic  please mark the best answer in the 3d 😁

Comment