Solved

Back up VM to a LUN assigned to a ESXi host. How to do ?

• 9 February 2022
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 1

Hello,

Everything is in the title, it’s the first time i’m using Veeam.

So, i have a VM on ESXi A, i want to setup an incremental backup of this VM to ESXI B that has a LUN assigned to it (the datastore is created).

But i have no idea how to do it. When i create a backup job, when i get to “storage”, i can only chose the default backup repository, which is on the local hard drive where Veeam is installed...

I don’t know how to create a new repository that will point to my “backup-LUN” datastore on ESXI B …

Can you help me ?

Thank you in advance,

Regards

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 9 February 2022, 21:24

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In order to use the LUN on ESXI B you need to deploy a VM that can have storage added to it and then added to Veeam as a Repository to send the data to.  Veeam does not send directly to ESXi datastores.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, you can do this two ways, firstly instead of a backup you can “replicate” your VM to ESXi host B, this way it’s an uncompressed “ready to go” VM on the second host. Alternatively you’d need a VM on host B with a VMDK that you would use as a second repository server and backup to that disk.

Id suggest if you only need short term protection (say a few days to go back through) a replica will be easier potentially.

Are these hosts in the same network or different sites etc?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, you can do this two ways, firstly instead of a backup you can “replicate” your VM to ESXi host B, this way it’s an uncompressed “ready to go” VM on the second host. Alternatively you’d need a VM on host B with a VMDK that you would use as a second repository server and backup to that disk.

Id suggest if you only need short term protection (say a few days to go back through) a replica will be easier potentially.

Are these hosts in the same network or different sites etc?

Yes this is definitely another option to save deploying a server on host B.

Userlevel 1

Hi! Firstly, thanks for the quick answers!

Ok, i see...Wow so much time wasted, haha.

I think will create a VM on the ESXi host B, because it needs to be incremental or differential.

But when you say replica, it’s going to “copy” the whole 60Gb ?

Another question, if you know the answer :

Can i assign this “backup-lun” to Windows 10 iSCSI initator ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi! Firstly, thanks for the quick answers!

Ok, i see...Wow so much time wasted, haha.

I think will create a VM on the ESXi host B, because it needs to be incremental or differential.

But when you say replica, it’s going to “copy” the whole 60Gb ?

Another question, if you know the answer :

Can i assign this “backup-lun” to Windows 10 iSCSI initator ?

The replica will copy the initial 60GB but then just increments after that.  Yes you can assign the LUN to the iSCSI on Win10 long as it can see should be no issue.  Then add that as repo to Veeam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you make a VM with a VMDK no need to attach an iSCSI LUN as the VM will see it as a local disk.

Never time wasted, it’s time learning!

Chris has answered the points around incrementals etc already 😊

If you’re new to Veeam check out the Veeam University section for some quick getting started style videos, might help you lay the foundation of the plan in your mind.

Userlevel 1

Ok thanks for your precious help guys! Thanks for you prompt responses again, as i am in lack of time!

Wish i could give you both the Best answer! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Comment