Question

Another VMWARE alternative verge.io?

• 24 January 2024
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I just saw on LinkedIn @michaelcade reply in a post about another platform that I had not heard of? Anyone using this or have any input? 

https://www.verge.io/

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hmmm...that one seems interesting to look at.  Will keep an eye on it for sure and other posts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Uhh..not heard of it. Ugh...I can’t test them all out! 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Uhh..not heard of it. Ugh...I can’t test them all out! 😂

That might become a lucrative side kick, testing all of these out then providing consulting services :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“That might become a lucrative side kick, testing all of these out then providing consulting services :) “

Umm..great idea! 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Saw that one live one time at a place we both know.

Suffice it to say, it lacked a lot of features (at least back then). It may be better now, I haven’t re-evaluated. It died on the vine at that place we both know because no one knew it and it didn’t live up to its hype. 

As I said in a post a while back - its less about the hypervisor and more about the ecosystem of third party vendors and skilled people in the industry that will support that hypervisor. 

Its all fun and games to use something else until you can’t back anything up or find someone who actually knows how to fix it when it breaks. 

I’m eager to see how this all shakes out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Suffice it to say, it lacked a lot of features (at least back then). It may be better now, I haven’t re-evaluated. It died on the vine at that place we both know because no one knew it and it didn’t live up to its hype. 

As I said in a post a while back - its less about the hypervisor and more about the ecosystem of third party vendors and skilled people in the industry that will support that hypervisor. 

Its all fun and games to use something else until you can’t back anything up or find someone who actually knows how to fix it when it breaks. 

Now where could that have been? :) Agreed fully, VMware was/is pretty unique, the full package. Some folks are going to just learn to do without if they can’t afford it. Still blows my mind the way this is happening. I am admittedly not Mr. Business but in the long run how can Broadcom’s strategy make sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Now where could that have been? :) Agreed fully, VMware was/is pretty unique, the full package. Some folks are going to just learn to do without if they can’t afford it. Still blows my mind the way this is happening. I am admittedly not Mr. Business but in the long run how can Broadcom’s strategy make sense.

Geoff, we barely even got into the meat of the shenanigans we could have discussed!

I don’t think this Broadcom transition will end up being as bad as many are worried it will turn out. Its the communication right now that’s killing Broadcom, there are so many changes coming in rapid succession that its thrown people into a panic. 

I’m trying to get a quick, informal VMUG event set up out here in Calgary with a Broadcom representative to talk about the licensing changes. I think there is a lot of confusion and anger out there that can be worked out over a few beers. At least, I hope so!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Geoff, we barely even got into the meat of the shenanigans we could have discussed!

I don’t think this Broadcom transition will end up being as bad as many are worried it will turn out. Its the communication right now that’s killing Broadcom, there are so many changes coming in rapid succession that its thrown people into a panic. 

I’m trying to get a quick, informal VMUG event set up out here in Calgary with a Broadcom representative to talk about the licensing changes. I think there is a lot of confusion and anger out there that can be worked out over a few beers. At least, I hope so!

That is a great idea. Please share anything you hear. They also might back track on some decisions too if they find that it is counter productive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Seems pretty cool, but I’d need a lot of time before I fully trust anything else.  Smart of them to start marketing heavy right now though :) 

Comment