Solved

A doubt on M365 objects backup

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi folks, 

I have a little doubt about this kind of backup and I need to clarify it. 

Our client ask us what’s happens when there are users in multiple groups, and a backup job for single group. I know Veeam manages the backup to avoid unnecessary duplication and save storage space. Is correct to say if a user is in multiple groups and these groups include overlapping items (for example, the same mailboxes or SharePoint sites etc), Veeam takes an approach to avoid duplicate backup?

But really question is: 

In these cases VEEAM send a warning for those backup jobs? 

I never tested it and I appreciate your experiences in O365 backup.

Thanks all  

icon

Best answer by regnor 18 August 2023, 21:46

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

On one hand you would think that it does not back up the same user twice, but something is telling me that it still does.  Not sure if you searched the forums for a similar question - https://forums.veeam.com

I have not seen anything with my Google skills but that is where I would try next.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

As long as you point the jobs to the same repository, you won't have any duplicate items/users. Each item is only backed up once.

Regarding the warning. If two jobs process the same object (user) at the same time, you'll receive a warning. But if the jobs don't run in parallel you won't see any issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Be careful when you get to testing. If you create a job using groups and then disable it and create another job with another group, users who are in both groups will not be backed up because of that conflict. You will need to delete the first job. The data backed up by that job will remain unless you delete the repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Be careful when you get to testing. If you create a job using groups and then disable it and create another job with another group, users who are in both groups will not be backed up because of that conflict. You will need to delete the first job. The data backed up by that job will remain unless you delete the repository.

This is a great point and something definitely to consider.

Comment