Question

11a P20240304 Upgrade to 12.1.2.172 P20240515 fails with "Version string portion was too short or too long"


I’m running 11a on an Enterprise sub on Server 2016. Initially, I was trying to upgrade 11a (11.0.1.1261 P20230227) to the latest 12.1.2 via ISO, but later I updated to 11.0.1.1261 P20240304 just to see if the 12.1.2 upgrade would work.

Everything is fine until after I select my license. At that point, I get the error that “Version string portion was too short or too long. (Parameter 'input')” and the installer crashes out. I’ve got a support case open, but it’s been a week and we aren’t making any progress. 

I’m wondering if anyone else has come across this? Should I just uninstall everything and then hope the existing DB will update successfully when I install 12.1.2 and point it to the DB?

[ERROR] System.ArgumentException: Version string portion was too short or too long. (Parameter 'input')
   at System.Version.ParseVersion(ReadOnlySpan`1 input, Boolean throwOnFailure)
   at System.Version.Parse(String input)
   at System.Version..ctor(String version)
   at Veeam.Setup.PrereqEngine.PrereqEngineUtil.RegistryCheckVersion(String strRegKey, String strRegValue, Version version, RegistryView view, Boolean RemoveFirstChar)
   at Veeam.Setup.PrereqEngine.PackageProcessors.PackageProcessorWebView2Runtime.CheckStatus()
   at Veeam.Setup.PrereqEngine.PackageInstaller.CheckStatus(String prereqID)
   at Veeam.Setup.PrereqEngine.PrereqEngine.SetPrereqList(List`1 prereqList)
   at Veeam.Setup.Wizard.PrereqEngineManager.SetPrereqList(List`1 prereqList)
   at Veeam.Setup.Wizard.WPF.Pages.SystemConfigurationPageViewModel.IsEnabled()
   at Veeam.Setup.Wizard.WPF.WizardViewModel.MaybeSwitchToNextEnabledPage()
   at Veeam.Setup.Wizard.WPF.WizardViewModel.ProcessPageSwitchRequest(PageSwitchRequestedEventArgs args)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__128_0(Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)


8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @slibbidy 

Welcome to the Community.

If I’m understanding correctly, you tried to upgrade and are now on the latest version of Veeam B&R 11?

Have you tried to download a new version of the licence file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Your best bet @slibbidy is to wait for Support. Another option would be to ping the PMs on the Forums

Hi @slibbidy 

Welcome to the Community.

If I’m understanding correctly, you tried to upgrade and are now on the latest version of Veeam B&R 11?

Have you tried to download a new version of the licence file?

Hi, Dips! I have tried downloading the v12 version, as well as logging into Veeam to get it. The logs indicate the license is accepted, but then a pre-requisite step executes, and I get the error about the version number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

What happens if you reboot and disable all job and then rerun the upgrade from the .ISO

I had a similar issue, and I may have cracked it. Did you happen to use any scripts from the internet to remove Edge or WebView2 components? In short, I had to delete these two registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Clients\{F3017226-FE2A-4295-8BDF-00C3A9A7E4C5}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Clients\{F3017226-FE2A-4295-8BDF-00C3A9A7E4C5}

As part of the removal process, the script I used scattered a handful of entries across the registry in an attempt to keep Edge from returning, including the two above. The Veeam updater probably crashed when the WebView2 runtime installer encountered those keys which disabled its installation.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Interesting resolution @Berkeley . Appreciate the share!

I had a similar issue, and I may have cracked it. Did you happen to use any scripts from the internet to remove Edge or WebView2 components? In short, I had to delete these two registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Clients\{F3017226-FE2A-4295-8BDF-00C3A9A7E4C5}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\Clients\{F3017226-FE2A-4295-8BDF-00C3A9A7E4C5}

As part of the removal process, the script I used scattered a handful of entries across the registry in an attempt to keep Edge from returning, including the two above. The Veeam updater probably crashed when the WebView2 runtime installer encountered those keys which disabled its installation.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! This got me further, but then the update failed on Step 1 of 6. V11’s still installed, but it can’t connect to the service when I run the UI, and v12’s install is greyed out indicating that I need to uninstall the console first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

At this point @slibbidy I'd either wait for Support or just do a fresh install. And, if you're really wanting to keep your settings, do a migrate operation with a backup of your latest config DB. 

Comment