Fix Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 "Failed to get folder properties. Not allowed to access Non IPM folder" Error

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  • Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
  • 192 comments

While backing up Exchange data, Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 systematically retrieves the properties associated with every mailbox folder. This encompassing approach includes visible folders and extends to hidden and legacy folders, such as 'TeamsMessagesData.' By diligently requesting and capturing the properties of these folders, Veeam ensures a comprehensive backup solution that accounts for all relevant data within the Exchange environment.

Exchange Web Services (EWS) are the legacy APIs used to create clients and services that connect to Exchange to get access to mailbox information. Microsoft will restrict access via EWS to Teams message data starting on January 31, 2023.

Following a recent update within Microsoft 365, a notable adjustment has rendered the retrieval of properties associated with the 'TeamsMessagesData' folder unattainable through the current Exchange Web Services (EWS) APIs utilized by Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365. This modification in the Microsoft 365 environment has consequently interrupted the seamless access to critical folder properties, posing a temporary challenge for Veeam's backup operations, specifically concerning this folder.

To fix this issue, we need to configure Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 to skip the ‘TeamsMessagesData’ folder.

1.Ensure all backup jobs are stopped and no restore sessions are running.

2.Disable all backup jobs.

3.Stop the below services.

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Service

Veeam Backup Proxy for Microsoft 365 Service

4.Modify the Config.xml file contents to skip the TeamsMessagesData folder.

5. Open the folder: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365

6. create a copy of Config.xml with the extension .old

7. Open the file 'C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365\Config.xml' using Notepad as Administrator.

8. Add the following line under the <Archiver> node and save the file.

<Proxy SkipTeamsMessagesDataFolders="True" />

9.Start the below services.

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Service

Veeam Backup Proxy for Microsoft 365 Service

10.Enable and Start all backup jobs.

The issues are fixed.

23 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It was nice they released a KB article for this as well - https://www.veeam.com/kb4569

Just in case anyone wants the official reference.  😎

I previously setup the new TeamsExportAPI successfully

we experienced job failures b/c of this issue with EWS API.

I am seeking to confirm if I modify the XML "SkipTeamsMessagesDataFolders"= True, Will the Teams Message data via TeamsExportAPI be captured or does this xml entry exclude all teams message data, regardless of the API?

Thank you kindly

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

There are some discussions at R&D Forum.

Failed to get folder properties. Not allowed to access Non IPM folder. - Page 2 (veeam.com)

When you apply the KB, the exchange backup job will exclude this hidden folder.

The folder was previously (until 1-2 years ago) used to backup Teams chat messages.
But Microsoft has introduced the new paid Teams export API which everyone has to use if he wants to protect Teams messages. The old method through the hidden folder was officially deprecated 1-2 years ago. Even if you don't apply the KB, the folder will be gone and access denied by Microsoft.

If you want to keep protecting teams messages (messages in channels --> 1:1 and group messages are not yet possible), you have to apply this kb:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4340

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Was just looking at this on my server as well...waiting for a job to wrap up so I can deploy the fix.  

Userlevel 3

Did not fix for me. Same error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If that is the case I would open a support case to get it looked at.  Almost everyone I have talked to this fixes the issue.

Make sure you put the <Proxy SkipTeamsMessagesDataFolders="True" /> inside the <Archiver> section at the top of the Config.xml.
I put it after the </Archiver> towards the bottom of the Config.xml and it took me a while to notice the /

Userlevel 3

No support for me. I am not using a paid version. I wonder if there will be a patch?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No support for me. I am not using a paid version. I wonder if there will be a patch?

If you are not on the latest v7 maybe upgrade will help?  If you are then I guess next patch hopefully fixes it.

Userlevel 3

I copy pasted the line in the correct section. Trying another site to see if I can get it working there.

Userlevel 3

Same issue. No fix for other site, either :(

Userlevel 3

I am running latest version, both sites - 7.1.0.1501 P20240123

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

not mine but there was a script made by a forum member:

[xml]$xml = Get-Content "C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365\Config.xml"

if ($xml.Veeam.Archiver.Proxy -eq $null) {
Copy-Item "C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365\Config.xml" "C:\Temp\Config.xml" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
$proxy = $xml.CreateElement("Proxy")
$proxy.SetAttribute("SkipTeamsMessagesDataFolders", "True")
$xml.Veeam.Archiver.AppendChild($proxy)
$xml.Save("C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup365\Config.xml")
Restart-Service -Name Veeam.Archiver.Proxy -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
Restart-Service -Name Veeam.Archiver.Service -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
}

The minimum compatible version for this solution is Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 6a (build 6.1.0.1015).

Userlevel 3

Thanks, will try this tomorrow. Stop Veeam services before running script, I assume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, will try this tomorrow. Stop Veeam services before running script, I assume.

Yes you need to even doing it manually for the file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Applied yesterday on a customer site, it works properly now

I am still on 6.0 and this fix did not work. Does this mean I need to get an immediate upgrade?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am still on 6.0 and this fix did not work. Does this mean I need to get an immediate upgrade?

Definitely possible and I would recommend the upgrade regardless.

So what version are you currently on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So what version are you currently on?

The latest v7 release and the fix works for us.  Just need to remember to shut down the services first.

Disappointed that my v6 license won’t let me upgrade to v6.1. Thanks, I am working on the upgrade to latest now. Hope it works.

Userlevel 3

@Epicfailing - can confirm that the script has resolved the issue, all sites. Thanks for posting this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

FYI.

KB4569 updated today

KB4569: Exchange Backup Fails With: "Failed to get folder properties. Not allowed to access Non IPM folder" (veeam.com)

Comment