Solved

single windows file restore from command line

Userlevel 1

is it possible to extract a single file from the most recent backup of a hyperV VM from a commandline utility?   It tried “extract.exe” and it appears to only extract EVERYTHING and actually restores the vhdx file.  Which I would then have to mount the vhdx somehow and extract the file I need.

I’d like to run this from cmdline on a daily schedule.

Any help greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 7 August 2023, 23:04

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You do use the extract utility for files - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/extract_utility_console.html?ver=120

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/open-veeam-backup-file-t21834.html#:~:text=You%20can%20use%20the%20extract.exe%20command%20line%20tool%2C,the%20VM%20level%20files%20%28VMDK%2C%20VHD%2C%20VMX%2C%20etc.%29

Userlevel 1

There’s no example there of extracting a single file that’s nested inside the VM’s VHDX file.

You can extract all the VM files from a single VM, but not specific “windows” files inside that VM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think you need to extract the vhdx files then the files. I don't think the utility can extract single files.  Using the console is easier as you can restore just files.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

I don’t know why you need it but if you want it to test restore works, you can use surebackup.

Userlevel 1

ok.  Thanks.  Unrelated to that but working toward the same goal:

Can I copy specific “locked” windows files from a VM?  I tried building a veeam copy job, but since they’re quick books QBW files - they in use and locked.  How would I achieve a VSS copy of a few files instead of a “dumb” windows copy?

Thanks Chris.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

ok.  Thanks.  Unrelated to that but working toward the same goal:

Can I copy specific “locked” windows files from a VM?  I tried building a veeam copy job, but since they’re quick books QBW files - they in use and locked.  How would I achieve a VSS copy of a few files instead of a “dumb” windows copy?

Thanks Chris.

I am unsure for QuickBooks as that is not a typical VSS related file like SQL or the like. You might need to have the app closed to back it up.

Userlevel 1

That’s kinda what I thought.  It’s locked for a very good reason and a VSS snap of it may be a bad state.

Comment