Solved

Restore - P2V

Userlevel 2

I was able to install the Windows Agent to a Win10 desktop.  Looks like Veeam backed up the files to the share folder I used for the job.

I am trying to now restore this backup to a Hyper-V host.

When I go into Restore using the Veeam Backup and Rep app, I don’t see a way to choose the machine or  Agent backup?

Any tips or suggestions would be super helpful.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 28 July 2023, 19:28

View original

17 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is this a physical device? Regardless, be it physical or virtual that you backed up, you need to do the restore using recovery media you should've first created using the agent. See here on how to do so. Then, follow the User Guide to do a bare metal restore to a VM in Hyper-V. 

Userlevel 2

Is the recovery media specific to the machine or is the recover media generic?

Can you create recovery media from the console or only from the machine with the agent installed?

I am trying to backup a physical Win10 and restore as a VM to Hyper-V. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The recovery media is specific to the machine, as noted here. Please read the steps on how to create it from the link I provided. It should answer your questions. You can restore your physical desktop to a VM. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Create an ISO for your recovery media, then configure your VM to boot to the ISO to begin the recovery process. 

Userlevel 2

Was able to get the ISO to boot in Hyper-V as a new VM. 

Trying to get the newly booted VeeamRecovery VM to see the Veeam backup files on the local Hyper-V machine I am on.  Is there a way to see the Host drive/files or best to use the Network to go from the recovery VM to the Host to get the backup files?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @TechDadSoCal  Please follow the recovery steps from the link I provided. When you boot to the ISO, choose Bare Metal, then select Local, & browse to the location of the backup file. Follow the steps in the link 

Userlevel 2

I see the backup files from the Veeam recovery VM, trying to restore the entire computer, and getting stuck at Disk Mapping.

I have a new Unallocated 126.5 GB VM drive I created when I added a new VM.  Should I do that or start with no drive?

Userlevel 2

I think I got it, I see that I can right click inside Disk Mapping and then map the backup volume to the new VM disk.  Was not easy to figure this part out.  Moving to next step ….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep...correct. 

Agree...not too intuitive, but again, I believe the Guide states this? 😉

Userlevel 2

It goes, the guide helped : )

Restore completed.  I can at least see the disk, and mount it and see the files which is nice.

Any final tips on how to maybe get this backup to start up as a Win10 VM : )

The restored VM will not start.

Do you need to restore the system and recovery partitions or just the main C drive?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So, if it's just a Volume you restored, you need to have an OS already installed then add this as a disk /volume. To restore the whole computer you need to select "entire computer" as your backup option. 

The User Guide is your friend 😊 See here

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

BTW, I follow the Guide myself for VBR...often 😉

Userlevel 2

I backed up a Win10 desktop.

I am trying to restore to a Hyper-V VM.

Physical to virtual.

When I go into the backup I see three volumes the 2 system (recovery etc) and then the main drive, or C drive.  There is just one drive in the physical computer.

I chose to only restore the C drive.

I’m trying to avoid doing a reinstall of Windows.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Then for your backup mode you need to backup the Entire Computer, as the Guide suggests. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @TechDadSoCal - I just wanted to provide a last follow-up on this. It’d been a while since I attempted a restore to a VM using the Agent. I just wanted to state what I shared from the Guide is indeed accurate. I tested the process myself → I created my recovery media and saved it to where it could be accessible to the VM I am using to recover the backup to; backed up a machine using the (free) Agent, selecting to back up the ENTIRE COMPUTER; I then created a VM and booted to the recovery media (ISO), & selected BARE METAL; I chose ‘Network Share’ for my backup location (as that’s where I put it) and used the following as the path format: \\server\sharename\folder\folder; I also provided credentials to the folder/path; I then selected the Restore Point I wanted and finished the Restore wizard out. My machine recovered to the VM within 5mins (only a 90GB machine). NOTE: I did have to go back in the wizard and select ‘Manual’ for my restore option instead of Entire Computer because I have a 2nd Volume attached to the original machine I backed up. I didn’t back up the 2nd Vol & thus didn’t want/need to restore it, so I couldn’t just do ‘entire computer’ restore. I selected to restore just my system and c:\ disks.

Hope that helps you out further.

Userlevel 2

@coolsport00 Hi, so you were able to get the Windows computer to come up as a VM?  Hyper-V or?Thanks, super helpful info, much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yep ; it was vSphere but still a VM. Hyper-V works too. 

Comment