New Veeam user or haven't attended a User Group in awhile?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi!

I would love to know what you guys would like to learn more about during these user groups. Whether you are brand new to using Veeam or haven’t attended a user group in some time, what are some topics you would like to dive deeper on? 

12 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Id like to learn more about the Linux side of the house since I’m mostly in the Windows world….native immutable/hardened repositories, linux proxy’s, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would like to hear about

• hardened repositories
  • object storage repositories
  • cloud backup

We already have basic failure notification and space utilization reports that are sent to us.  Are there other reports we could setup like no backup in x days?  Or how many backups/replication is still going on at 7AM in the morning?

Perhaps it’s in the documentation and I’ve just overlooked it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Kirst. I’m based in the UK and part of the UK VUG as well. The reason I joined the US VUG (recommended by our account manager) is because the UK group is so quiet.

Veeam is very good at holding events to tell users and customers about their latest and greatest, but they tend to be done more from a high-level sales angle than end-user technical.

Ideally, what I’m looking for are some hands on technical sessions covering a host of topics.

For instance, trying to get your foot in the door with the B&R Powershell model can be quite a challenge. Understanding how objects hang together takes a while to get your head round. Holding a series of technical sessions walking through the model and writing some real-world code I’m sure would be well received.

Similarly with something like Veeam for AWS - you could actually show how the various components are installed and configured from start to finish, taking in AWS IAM, etc, etc.

These topics don’t encroach on the official Veeam Training side of the business, but add value to the licences we already have.

Cheers, Rob.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

We already have basic failure notification and space utilization reports that are sent to us.  Are there other reports we could setup like no backup in x days?  Or how many backups/replication is still going on at 7AM in the morning?

Perhaps it’s in the documentation and I’ve just overlooked it.

Hi @raquel.idziak 

If you are using Veeam ONE, the Protected Computers report would work well here. It will tell you if there is one valid restore point that meets your RPOs. This can help identify those machines that have not been backed up in X days. 

Additionally, there are a couple alarms you could look at that will help you with backup jobs running long, these are Job Exceeded Backup Window and Maximum allowed job duration. 

Just a few things to consider. Let me know if I can give you anymore information.

Hi there, no we are not using Veeam ONE.  Which is why I figured we would have to create some sort of report from scratch unless there is a repository of examples.  Those are exactly the type of things we are looking to monitor however Veeam ONE is not an option for us to utilize.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi there, no we are not using Veeam ONE.  Which is why I figured we would have to create some sort of report from scratch unless there is a repository of examples.  Those are exactly the type of things we are looking to monitor however Veeam ONE is not an option for us to utilize.

VeeamOne is a great product, but there was too much overlap in it with other applications we use to monitor our estate. However, we still need to report on backups similarly to yourselves. We turned to the Github Veeam repository (https://github.com/VeeamHub/powershell) and customised some of the reports for our own needs. There’s not a lot you would require that isn’t already covered by the extensive list of scripts.

Rob.

Nice!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!

The biggest frustration I have with basically everything I have attended from ArcServe to VeeamON is that everything focusses on “scaling up”, “in the cloud”, “Dev-Ops”, “multi-cloud”, Tanzu-Kubernetes-enterprise-multi-cloud ad nauseum 🤢 ... and that the traditional on-premises customer is essentially ignored, especially in the SMB and small enterprise segment.  It very much seems like the SMB and small enterprise segments get “we recorded a video 2 years go. Go watch that and here’s a pdf manual for the new version” level interest from User Groups, regardless of the product.

Id like to learn more about the Linux side of the house since I’m mostly in the Windows world….native immutable/hardened repositories, linux proxy’s, etc.

Every time I hear some version of “… this isn’t a Linux class ...” I want to try to reach through the screen and throttle the presenter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Perhaps it’s in the documentation and I’ve just overlooked it

…..

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The biggest frustration I have with basically everything I have attended from ArcServe to VeeamON is that everything focusses on “scaling up”, “in the cloud”, “Dev-Ops”, “multi-cloud”, Tanzu-Kubernetes-enterprise-multi-cloud ad nauseum 🤢 ... and that the traditional on-premises customer is essentially ignored, especially in the SMB and small enterprise segment.  It very much seems like the SMB and small enterprise segments get “we recorded a video 2 years go. Go watch that and here’s a pdf manual for the new version” level interest from User Groups, regardless of the product.

I sort of agree, but the reality is that you can’t get away from the emerging Cloud technologies, and it’s where people are heading like it or not. Take a leaf out of my book and bunker down for a few years when it’ll all come back on-site because people didn’t realise it was going to be so extortionate and we can do that ourselves on-prem for half the price….

Rob.

Comment