Meeting Tweeting - Boston Veeam User Group

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m at the Veeam Boston User Group today before a few other matters I’m working on. This will be a thread where I will share good nuggets from the meeting!

23 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

First thing up is highlighting the Veeam Community Hub! This website. BLUSHING

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

One user has a question, getting in heavy right away: How is Veeam different and does it compete in the market?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Very cool!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Malware Inline Detection (hat tip @coolsport00 ) being brought up first...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Malware Inline Detection (hat tip @coolsport00 ) being brought up first...

😎 BOOM! 💥 I’ve been all over that one the last few wks 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I tried to shut up but could not help but share (sorry @ertelle1) → PRO TIP FROM RICKATRON:

If you want to turn on inline malware detection but are worried about the impact of it (as it is a global setting), you can turn it on but then exclude everything which will then effectively do no inline scanning.

Then gradually remove exclusions, which will ramp them up to being inline scanned explicitly. This can be significant as the CPU resources may be impacted and the next incremental backup will skip changed block tracking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Discussed how for Veeam B&R servers without Internet can use KB1514 for the XML suspicious file list:
KB4514: How to Manually Update Suspicious File List (veeam.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very cool.  Too bad this post wasn’t a live stream.  🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Discussed exclusion logic…  There were examples of false positives, namely AutoCAD files! They apparently use .FUN files, which is an attribute of the Jigsaw ransomware. 

I shared that it is reasonable to expect that there will be enhanced exclusion logic in a future release/update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Great perspective being shared by @replicatius and @ertelle1 on the practical usage of the Four-Eyes Authorization!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reminded everyone that KB4510 is out for upgrading to 12.1 that if you are on v11 can you right to 12.1 with the patch to 12.1.56 https://www.veeam.com/kb4510

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is the part of interest in 4510 for the upgrades:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Look Mom, I earned a badge! You can too by being active in Veeam User Groups!

YAY

Pizza time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Look Mom, I earned a badge! You can too by being active in Veeam User Groups!

YAY

Pizza time!

Yep got that badge already.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Now @ertelle1 is explaining the Veeam Recovery Orchestrator capabilities in a demo. LOL me in the back taking this photo:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@ertelle1  shared a story of a ransomware situation where 1 vCenter controlled everything, including DR site.

That situation had the vCenter as part of the evidence of the ransomware ‘crime scene’ - and it was not usable for recovery.

Lesson Learned: For DR sites, absolute separate is a good idea. So site-based vCenters, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

How rude of me… I would like to give a big thank you to Presidio for hosting! Home - Presidio

Presidio is a global Veeam partner!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Now @replicatius is discussing AI technologies such as Veeam AI Assistant and the Veeam & Microsoft Copilot! Veeam PR: Veeam to Jointly Develop AI Solutions with Microsoft for Industry’s #1 Data Protection and Ransomware Recovery Platform

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Open discussion now on misc topics:

• Four-eyes
  • Immutability
  • Scenarios 
  • The Veeam Hardened Repository discussed
  • Question on Veeam vs. Other Products: JUICY!
  •  

Event Concluded

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That was definitely an interesting way to update during a user group.  👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That was definitely an interesting way to update during a user group.  👍🏼

Thanks, Chris - I felt it a way to highlight some of the shareables. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Now @ertelle1 is explaining the Veeam Recovery Orchestrator capabilities in a demo. LOL me in the back taking this photo:

👏🏻

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

It was a lot of fun getting a chance to help present along side @ertelle1! Can’t wait to do more of these 😀 Thanks for the great play-by-play @Rick Vanover!

Comment