This issue is with a media server in my home setup, so it’s a community edition license of VBR. I have created tickets with support 3 times, but the tickets are closed after a few days. They are just too busy with paying/enterprise customers (I totally understand that).
I have googled endlessly and found ONE thread on Veeam R&D Forum that someone briefly addressed (with suggestions that don’t resolve the issue in my case) before the whole discussion became about a user mismatch in his support contract. There was no actual resolution in the thread.
Any google result that even slightly angles toward my problem has no resolution or circles back to AV/firewall issues (as the sole contributor to the R&D thread did). I have tried disabling the firewall (no joy) and shut down the Vipre agent from the console (no surprise that didn’t help, because there are several other machines using the same Vipre agent/policy).
I thought that maybe I had exceeded my licensed workloads, but another machine added only a day or two ago is backing up just fine.
Network errors seem unlikely because it can stream media to numerous clients simultaneously without issue, but I checked for updated network drivers, confirmed that the team is configured ok, and scoped out the connection to the VBR server with Wireshark. I even added the registry key HKLM/SOFTWARE/Veeam/Veeam Backup and Replication/AgentMaxReconnectRetries with a value of 90 (triple the 30 that it defaults to when the key isn’t present) to the VBR server. Still the same persistent failure on only this one machine.
The actual media storage volume is not backed up (for now), so I tried changing the backup objects from “OS volumes only” to “Backup all volumes except the following” with no improvement. That shouldn’t have any impact at all anyway, but I’m running out of ideas.
The really weird thing is that this machine successfully backed up 8 times before the issue arose on 1 August, with no changes in between. The only recent changes were replacing the disks on the Avago RAID HBA hosting the media last week, and that volume doesn’t get backed up anyway. It’s too big for my repo (although I recently upgraded that as well, so there may be room now. I just need to get past this issue first).
I have attached a screener from the VBR console, and will figure out how to upload logs if I am asked for them.
(Sorry about the inordinately long post, but I wanted to be thorough about documenting what I have already tried. If I have posted this to the wrong forum, please have an admin move it for me)