Solved

PostgreSQL V16 on Server 2022 Question

Userlevel 1

Hello folks.

As we’ve started getting a ‘maximum size’ warning from VEEAM B&R, we’re moving over to PostgreSQL.

I’ve looked through some guides and it looks quite straightforward.

One question - PostgreSQL 16 is now available. Is it okay to install that rather than the latest 15.X version?

Thank you.

David

icon

Best answer by MarkBoothman 5 December 2023, 13:37

View original

17 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

12.1 release notes still only show 15.x as supported

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_12_1_release_notes_rn.pdf

PostgreSQL 14.x, 15.x (version 15.5 is included in the setup) Note that Veeam Backup & Replication does not support PostgreSQL installations on cloud database services (for example, Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS).

Userlevel 1

Fair enough. I’ll stick with 15.5 then.

Thank you for the very quick reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@MarkBoothman - your link is missing an “f” at the end I believe 😊

@david.morgan - yes...migrating is pretty straightfoward as I migrated one of my VBR servers to PGSQL a few mos ago. Followed the User Guide steps. Verify all is good at the end and you should be all set.

Best!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@coolsport00 Thanks for spotting Shane …. I’m blaming old age on that one. Fixed it now :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I understand that for sure! 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have installed v16 for Postgres in a CentOS 8 VM without issue and moved a database to it. It is running fine and no problems. As long as the permissions are there everything will work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have installed v16 for Postgres in a CentOS 8 VM without issue and moved a database to it. It is running fine and no problems. As long as the permissions are there everything will work.

Agreed, but “it works” is not “it’s supported”….
So, I would stay with 15.5 or lower to be supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Agreed, but “it works” is not “it’s supported”….
So, I would stay with 15.5 or lower to be supported.

Yes, I agree - I never said it was supported I just wanted to let the OP know it does work.  It is always best to stick to the “supported” release but this in my lab, so testing is fine with me on releases.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the replies folks.

Run into a bit of a snag - I’ve created a user in Pgadmin but when I try to migrate the database I get

“no Pg_hba.conf entry for host “XXX”, User “YYY”, database “ZZZ”, no encryption

I haven’t tried to create a database as I thought the restore / migrate process created one...and yet is seems to be pointing to one…

Any ideas what I’ve missed, please?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the replies folks.

Run into a bit of a snag - I’ve created a user in Pgadmin but when I try to migrate the database I get

“no Pg_hba.conf entry for host “XXX”, User “YYY”, database “ZZZ”, no encryption

I haven’t tried to create a database as I thought the restore / migrate process created one...and yet is seems to be pointing to one…

Any ideas what I’ve missed, please?

Thank you.

Does the user have the right permissions? Is this on the same Postgres install as the VBR server or a separate server?  If so, is the server Windows or Linux that Postgres is installed on?  If Linux there are some extra things you need to install to get it working.

Userlevel 1

Same host, which is a Windows box.  I’ve used an account that has the rights to create new databases, etc but I didn’t realise I needed to restart the PG service.

Having done that I now get:

Which is a different error...so progress from a certain point of view….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In the install window what port are you using?  The default one that shows there is sometimes different than what Postgres service is listening on.

Run this at command prompt to look for the port - netstat -abno

If you prefer a text file just add - > c:\temp\netstat.txt on the end of that command.

Userlevel 1

I’ve used the default port, and having run that command it says it’s listening

TCP 0.0.0.0:5432 0.0.0.0:0 Listening

In the pg_hba.conf file I can see this entry under IPv4:

host   all   all 127.0.0.1/32  scram-sha-256

The error looks as if it’s trying to connect to an IPv6 address, but commenting that out in the pg_hba.conf file doesn’t fix the problem.

Should I raise a support ticket?

Thanks for the replies.

David.

Userlevel 1

Okay, I had to amend the pga_hba.conf file to accept connections from ‘all’ rather than 127.0.0.1/32

Thanks for the pointers, folks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Same reason I would like to test with v16 also on Windows! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Fair enough. I’ll stick with 15.5 then.

Thank you for the very quick reply.

Absolutely! It is always wise to stick with the supported version...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Okay, I had to amend the pga_hba.conf file to accept connections from ‘all’ rather than 127.0.0.1/32

Thanks for the pointers, folks.

Just to add more information to this text as images are easier to understand!

Comment