Inconsistency - 'Report' for job that hasn't completed

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’ve got a job which is struggling to complete the initial backup.  I’ve noticed if you use the ‘Report’ function to check to see why the last attempt failed (right-click on the job and select ‘Report’) it does not retain any of the reports of failed attempts.  So even though this job has errored-out 5 times before I’ve got no information about the previous failures.  

It seems to me this is inconsistent with how the ‘Report’ function works in normal running.  Usually when you open the job report it’ll show you if the job failed 3 times and give a report on each failure. These will make up part of the history of the job with previous successful runs recorded alongside the failures. 

For some reason it looks like when an initial job fails the job log isn’t saved in the report. 

I have email notifications enabled on this system so I get a report by email. 

10 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

There’s a History section in the Home view (bottom-left corner) that will give you that info.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/view_flr_statistics.html?ver=120

Cheers, Rob.

Userlevel 4
Badge

But it’s still inconsistent that it is in the report only if the job has completed once successfully. 

If there was ever a time when seeing information about job failures was important it would be at the initial backup when you’re still working out compatible settings for the job. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

...and actually, I’ve just checked.  The history section does not keep the information in the scenario where the job has not completed an initial backup. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I’ve never seen information not logged into the History tab, so maybe you have a specific scenario that is causing it not to be recorded. If you have a support contract, I would log a call with Veeam to check.

Cheers, Rob.

Userlevel 4
Badge

It’s not a support ticket as it’s a program ‘feature’.  I don’t care if they don’t resolve it, I get an email with the report on.  But it is nevertheless an inconsistency.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@ejenner You may want to post this at Veeam R&D Forums 

It might already be known as a bug or it can be added to be looked into. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Out of interest do the statistics on the job show the information?

Userlevel 4
Badge

I think statistics only covers the job as it is currently running.  It wouldn’t show previous sessions.  I get why you’re asking though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

If you open the statistics windows then you can use the left arrow to move to the previous job run.

Generally it should have the full job history including retries

Userlevel 4
Badge

That functionality is different between backup and backup copy jobs.  The ‘left arrow’ thing doesn’t work if it’s a copy job… only for a standard backup. 

So having discovered this I think there could be a possibility that the same would be true for the ‘report’ function when it comes to a backup copy job. 

Comment