Solved

Backup job to NAS repository takes long time

• 11 August 2023
  • 7 comments

I’m having an issue with VBR v12, after updating NAS server and the corresponding veeam backup gateway.

All backups that are configured to use the NAS server take a really long time to complete. For comparison, jobs taking 5 minutes now take over 60 hours (!). 

I’ve tried to reconfigure the veeam gateway (which is a requirement for NAS repositories), installing a new linux distro, reconfigure backup jobs, created a few test backup jobs with small VMs and still takes a long time.

The stage of “Initializing Disk” takes hours and then copying data takes ages. This is not a issue with NFS itselft as I can copy large files to and from servers, any direction, with considerable speed.

As a note, NAS server is a simple Turnkey NAS (debian 10 based) and veeam gateway is a Ubuntu 22.04.

icon

Best answer by .::Gondzilla::. 16 August 2023, 18:02

View original

7 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

GZ - you’re probably better posting this on the R&D forums - https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

One thought though. Have you collected and examined the B&R log files. They’re very detailed and will almost definitely tell you where the delay is.

Hi, ratkinsonuk.

Yes, I’ve collected logs and “tried” to examine them, although I couldn’t find any particular error message that could tell me something.  

I’ll post this on the R&D forum, it’s probably the best place to get an answer.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Does your gateway server have multiple NICs?

Perhaps there is problem with routing and the data is sent for example over a 1Gb net instead of a 10Gb net?

Or all networks are tried for each operation before the correct one is found. In this case the preferred network settings could help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As Joe mentioned check the network settings and also you could check one of your job logs here to see possible problems - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\JobName

Been off for a few days, but in the meantime issue is solved.

It was related to this article: https://www.veeam.com/kb3131

By Murphy’s law, all required triggers were happening after veeam gateway was upgraded. And although no limitation was found in terms of firewall ports, as suggested as solution in the article, implemented solution was to “force” the NFS mount to use NFSv4.

This was done directly on the NAS server and reconfiguring a new NFS repository in Veeam, as I couldn’t find a way to tell veeam to use NFSv4 for a specific mount.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway, folks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Been off for a few days, but in the meantime issue is solved.

It was related to this article: https://www.veeam.com/kb3131

By Murphy’s law, all required triggers were happening after veeam gateway was upgraded. And although no limitation was found in terms of firewall ports, as suggested as solution in the article, implemented solution was to “force” the NFS mount to use NFSv4.

This was done directly on the NAS server and reconfiguring a new NFS repository in Veeam, as I couldn’t find a way to tell veeam to use NFSv4 for a specific mount.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway, folks.

Glad to hear you solved the issue.  Remember to mark the solution in the thread so other will see what it is.  😁

Comment