VUG Canada - Q4 -- TOPICS??

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

While my other post is trying to vote on a month to hold the next VUG Canada virtually I am starting this one to get an idea on topics people might want to see.  Posts your suggestions in this thread.

One topic I thought of that just came out of today's VUG Leader call was the VHR ISO and deploying hardened repositories.  Just a thought but one that everyone might be interested in.

CC - @hinmeister416

11 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have an idea for a topic. 

Architecting a 2 site design, (Main and DR) with 1PB of disk at each, without breaking the bank 🤣

Requirements

-Immutable backups at 1 site minimum for Ransomware protection

-Either site must be able to restore from in a disaster

-Fast restores and backups. (Active full of everything is 500TB)

​​​​​​​-Fiber Channel storage, and backup from storage snapshots.

I’m half kidding. Currently working on something similar, but the price of storage sure isn’t cheap. Especially needing something with decent performance to make more use out of the backups. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Architecting a 2 site design, (Main and DR) with 1PB of disk at each, without breaking the bank 🤣

Requirements

-Fiber Channel storage, and backup from storage snapshots.

I’m half kidding. Currently working on something similar, but the price of storage sure isn’t cheap. Especially needing something with decent performance to make more use out of the backups. 

Storage is cheap.  1 PB of Storage...not as cheap.  Can you do object?  Cloud?  Split some data to the cloud?  Or just some sort of highly deduplicating device on premise?  What type of data?

Back to topic, Architecting would be a neat topic…..just not sure how you sort that out into a call/webinar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

While my other post is trying to vote on a month to hold the next VUG Canada virtually I am starting this one to get an idea on topics people might want to see.  Posts your suggestions in this thread.

One topic I thought of that just came out of today's VUG Leader call was the VHR ISO and deploying hardened repositories.  Just a thought but one that everyone might be interested in.

CC - @hinmeister416

I think the LHR ISO would be a great topic, but Rick and Team did presentation at VeeamON, and I think it was recorded….still...would be neat to take it on.  Maybe just a LHR, not from ISO.  Anything Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 would be a great topic….one item that always gets me is best practices for setting up the backup jobs -- specifying what to backup by groups, determining what you need to backup, what you don’t and why or why not just backup an entire org.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I like the idea of a session on architecture considerations as most companies need to make compromises between price, performance, reliability, etc. Could we get three people to do a short presentation each of real world architecture designs and the decisions that went into the final implementation? Perhaps we could find someone who designed a solution for the Canadian government to address specific requirements for that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

CC - @hinmeister416

CC -@HangTen416 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yeah, design topics are always a pretty good draw too.  Taking real world examples to explain architecture decisions.  Heck even I could do this if needed with where I work.  🤣

Keep the ideas flowing. 👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Requirements

Storage is cheap.  1 PB of Storage...not as cheap.  Can you do object?  Cloud?  Split some data to the cloud?  Or just some sort of highly deduplicating device on premise?  What type of data?

Back to topic, Architecting would be a neat topic…..just not sure how you sort that out into a call/webinar.

I don’t want to to take over this thread, but yes to object/cloud, however, still need fast restores at DR site. Dedupe won’t work. Mostly video and already compressed data. 

Architecting

Performance tuning is another topic we don’t get enough of. I’m talking get into creating the SAN volumes, queue depth, multipathing, and disk performance on the Veeam server. 

Archiving with NAS backup would be a great topic and something I want to get into. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Requirements

I don’t want to to take over this thread, but yes to object/cloud, however, still need fast restores at DR site. Dedupe won’t work. Mostly video and already compressed data. 

Architecting

Performance tuning is another topic we don’t get enough of. I’m talking get into creating the SAN volumes, queue depth, multipathing, and disk performance on the Veeam server. 

Archiving with NAS backup would be a great topic and something I want to get into. 

Yes, performance tuning is another topic that goes hand in hand with Architecting.  Good suggestions here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey, VUG Canada. Let’s get some more ideas flowing. I was thinking today that we could do something specific to data protection and privacy specific to Canadian laws. Does anyone have any contacts that would be able to speak on this? I think that specific Canadian focus would work well to differentiate this group from other regional groups. Thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey, VUG Canada. Let’s get some more ideas flowing. I was thinking today that we could do something specific to data protection and privacy specific to Canadian laws. Does anyone have any contacts that would be able to speak on this? I think that specific Canadian focus would work well to differentiate this group from other regional groups. Thoughts?

That sounds pretty good too. I am in for that kind of topic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good topic idea. Unfortunately I don’t have any contacts that could help there.

Comment