Question

Monitoring tenant's backup jobs of VSPC console

Userlevel 4

Hi Team,

I am in the process of getting my head around the set up of Veeam at my organization.

It is a Service Providing company and we got VSPC configured too.

We have configured the default report produce out of VSPC console for tenant backups. However, i am wondering is there a better tool to effectively monitor the backup jobs of the tenants, and also to identify any bottlenecks of resources if a backup job is failed?

Appreciate if someone could guide me on developing (if needed) a script to retrieve the above requested information, or if there is a third-party tool that can be integrated with the VSPC server, please?

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind regards,

Andrew

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@AndreAtkinson  

@SteveHeart 

Userlevel 4

Hi Madi,

I am really sorry if I am missing something here.

However, I can’t see any comment or content, if you have already placed for my question?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Andrew Manuja ! I tagged two of our stars at Veeam that could help you find a solution to your issue. Hopefully they will reply soon :) 

Hi Andrew,

Are these for local backups or backups via Cloud Connect? If you have the Veeam Management Agent and it’s configured as “Service Provider Managed” installed on your tenant VBR Servers it should report back what the bottleneck is as part of the job. There’s also a “Download Logs” section to get more detailed information. Both can be accessed from the Management > Backup Jobs section in Service Provider Console

Userlevel 4

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. This is for backups via Cloud Connect and some backups configured to a local site repo of the tenant, but controlled by the Management Agent.

The above give the information, but considering the number of tenants we got currently, its not feasible to select individual backup job and check for the said details. 

Also, saw that Veeam ONE doesn’t very well support the multi-tenant environment too. Thus, would really beneficial if we can come up with a tool (even third-party) to install on our VSPC running server to extract the information.

May be in worst case scenario, to install a software at the tenant computer that might communicate with the VSPC, so that to extract a daily report to see the backup jobs, and the respective bottlenecks if available.

Hope I make sense here.

Appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards

Andrew

If you’re comfortable with the API, you could run a scheduled task to query the “Get Job” API endpoint and iterate through them. The API looks to provide information on bottlenecks that could be useful: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vac/rest/reference/vspc-rest.html?ver=80#tag/Backup-Server-Jobs/operation/GetBackupServerJob.

That being said, given that the bottleneck is just the slowest point in the transfer chain, if there isn’t a specific need to improve throughput or troubleshoot, it seems like it would be more important to check for backup duration as a first check, and then if there’s a problem assess the bottleneck and notify.

Comment