Solved

Veeam Orchestrator Questions

• 13 October 2023
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 2

We recently purchased Veeam Orchestrator, and I’m going through creating a plan.

Is there a course or class that goes over how to configure it? I’m not sure what type of Plan (CDP Replica/Replica/Storage/Restore) I should be choosing. I didn’t find a way to choose the individual servers or exclude VMs from the plan. From what it seems, I need to create new backup jobs of the critical VMs I want included on the plan.

For some background I am backing up from VSphere to a local repository and wanting to test whether we can restore to a DR site vSphere using the latest backups.

I also noticed that during the install of Orchestrator it installs ONE and B&R. Does that seem right? I don’t recall seeing an option to not install those. From what I’ve read it installs a lite version, but I’m not sure if I should configure anything in them.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 13 October 2023, 21:03

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As far as courses go, I don’t believe there are any for Orchestrator.  You can check the product page here and the links to the documentation toward the bottom - Comprehensive Recovery Solution | Veeam

Also, there is a blog that Melissa Palmer wrote that details some things - How to orchestrate application recovery from backup (veeam.com)

Hope these help.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Chris.Childerhose. I found some videos on YouTube and I am looking over the UserGuide in addition to those URLs you’ve provided.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @backoops!

CDP Replica/Replica/Storage/Restore reflects whether the DR orchestration task you want to perform is using a backup, storage snapshot etc. As it’s a backup you’re working with, you want a good old fashioned restore!

Jobs are one of the ways you can target resources, you can also assign VMware tags (these get processed by the embedded VONE) to assign DR resources such as recovery ESXi servers and tags for which VMs you want to restore. Jobs are part of VBR so it lets you use these, but it isn’t the only option by far!

RE the question of VONE and VBR, it’s an “embedded” edition that VRO utilises to perform specific functions.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @MicoolPaul! I’ll test that Restore option out and look if I can include VMs through Tags. I haven’t created them before and have avoided them. 😅

Good to know about the VONE/VBR installs. It said specifically in the doc that the server shouldn’t have them already installed, so I was confused when I saw them installed during the Orchestrator install.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You could also use Veeam ONE instead if you’re more comfortable with categorisation that way: Appendix B. Grouping and Categorization - Veeam Disaster Recovery Orchestrator User Guide

Yep that’s actually the reason it says you shouldn’t have them already installed, because it needs to install the embedded versions 😁

Hope you’re enjoying VRO and keep asking any questions here we can help with 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Yes getting started with VRO can be a little unclear, but as others have mentioned, VBR tags are your friend :D 

Here’s a extract from a presentation at VeeamOn this year on all the things tags can help with in VRO

You can use imported vSphere tag or custom business views to create subsets of VMs that you want to run together in a failover job.

The basic workflow is 

1. Use the VeeamOne instance deployed with VRO to setup/import your tags
  2. Setup a recovery site in VRO
  3. Setup a failover job
    1. CDP Replica for orchestration of VMs replicated with Veeam CDP on vSphere
    2. Replica for VMs replicated with standard Veeam replication jobs
    3. Restore for VMs that you’ve only got backups of but you want to orchestrate their recovery (either back to prod site or over to the DR site)
    4. Storage for if you’ve got a supported SAN vendor and have SAN level replication between sites. This will automate the SAN presenting the replicated lun to the DR hosts, importing it into vSphere, importing the VMs and powering them on.
  4. Test your failover job :D

Link to the presentation and slide deck below:

VeeamON-2023-Archive/sessions/The Essential Guide to Veeam Recovery Orchestrator for Disaster Recovery Management.md at main · benyoungnz/VeeamON-2023-Archive (github.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @backoops -

I’m just following up on your VRO info post here. The Community Hub just recently created VRO area specifically for VRO info, how-to’s, etc. Emillee (Veeam Product Strategy team) just recently created a post with links to quite a bit of VRO trainings. You can view it below:

Also checking if any of the provided comments benefit and helped get you going? If so, we ask you mark which one best assisted you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit. If you do have further questions though, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Userlevel 2

Hi @backoops -

I’m just following up on your VRO info post here. The Community Hub just recently created VRO area specifically for VRO info, how-to’s, etc. Emillee (Veeam Product Strategy team) just recently created a post with links to quite a bit of VRO trainings. You can view it below:

Also checking if any of the provided comments benefit and helped get you going? If so, we ask you mark which one best assisted you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit. If you do have further questions though, don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Thank you Shane! This looks to be the most helpful comment so far, but the others were good too. Looking through the workshop at the moment, and will register for the free On-Demand Training.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No problem at all @backoops . Glad to help. I have yet to go through trainings, but plan to do so soon. 

Best!
Shane

Comment