Solved

About the VRO

• 12 February 2024
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Heros,

can some one tall me details about the VRO? Like what is the main purpose of using VRO, what is the license type for VRO, I have currently VBR enterprise so if i want to using VRO which type of License I need, If my primary VBR goes down is it possible to recover the VBR using the VRO? is it possible to use VBR like the cluster? I know that Veeam Not supported the clustering, so if I need cluster type solutions what can I do for this?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 12 February 2024, 14:10

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Shaokat -

The best way to get to know VRO is to download the product and install it, and read through the User Guide here. You can trial VRO for 30 days. You don’t need to implement it fully into your production. You can create ‘bare’ VMs (just an OS install) in your hypervisor to test them with VRO.

To use VRO, you need to have a Veeam Data Platform (VDP) Advanced or Premium license, as VRO requires VeeamONE as well as VBR. You say you have “Enterprise”...but what VDP do you have? Veeam changed their platform naming. They now have VDP Foundation (just VBR, whether Standard, Ent, or Ent+), Advanced (VBR+VONE), and Premium (VBR+VONE+VRO). My guess is you still have/use a socket-based license as I do, and only have VBR?

You can’t use VBR like a Cluster. VRO is designed to orchestrate Replication Recovery Plans, not cluster VBR. You can centrally manage VBR with Enterprise Manager (EM) though. But again..this is not a clustering solution. EM is just a means by which to centrally manage 2 or more VBR servers. Again, there is no clustering for VBR. Chris and I shared how to recover your VBR environment in the event your DC1 VBR server goes down in your other post in the Discussions group/section.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You çan also read about on the product page as well as the user guide for an overview and not as in-depth - https://www.veeam.com/disaster-recovery-orchestrator.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

As far as the purpose of VRO, it simply orchestrates actions you would normally perform manually as well as execute scripts that you have created to perform specific tasks.

If you are tasked with manually testing your DR plan on a regular basis and maintaining the documentation then you should consider VRO.   Not only can you execute your DR plan in a sandbox environment to comply with testing requirements, your DR documentation and testing results can be saved to a pdf or printed off to hand to anyone needing proof of compliance.   By utilizing tags in vmware, your DR plans automatically update to include new workloads and your documentation is updated as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

My top selling points for VRO when talking to clients it the automation and reporting for DR testing, as well as one-click failover, but also orchestrating failback.  Everyone loves to failover for DR testing, but few seem to test failing back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can find the useful information in my blog below 😀

Upgrading Veeam Recovery Orchestrator 7.0 – Victor Virtualization (wordpress.com)

Building Veeam Disaster Recovery Orchestrator v6 – Victor Virtualization (wordpress.com)

Veeam Disaster Recovery Orchestrator v6 – Datalab Test – Victor Virtualization (wordpress.com)

Create Orchestration Plan on VDRO – Victor Virtualization (wordpress.com)

Comparison of Veeam VDRO and other solutions – Victor Virtualization (wordpress.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Some great articles by Victor to check out. 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks Victor!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks Victor!

Welcome. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +3