Skip to main content

VMCE Practice Question - 23 July 2024

Another week, another set of VMCE practice questions 😊 And as always, don’t forget to hide your comments.

Also, I wanted to take a moment here to remind folks about Part 2 of the VMCE Exam Prep session with Chris Huss. He didn’t have a chance to cover how to analyze VMCE exam questions to give you the best chance at coming up with the correct answer last month in Part 1, so he’ll be covering that this Fri, 26 Jul at noon EST.

Now onto the question…

What needs to happen after you change both Data Compression and Data Deduplication for a Backup Job?

1. For Data Compression, a new Active Full is required before the change is applied. For Data Deduplication, the change is applied without requiring a new Full. All previous created backup files are not affected
  2. For Data Deduplication, a new Active Full is required before the change is applied. For Data Compression, the change is applied without requiring a new Full. All previous created backup files are not affected
  3. For both Data Compression and Deduplication, the change is applied without requiring a new Full. All previous created backup files are not affected
  4. For both Data Compression and Deduplication, a new Full is required before the change is applied. All previous created backup files are not affected

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

C.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

C - For both Data Compression and Deduplication, the change is applied without requiring a new Full. All previous created backup files are not affected

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
  1. For both Data Compression and Deduplication, the change is applied without requiring a new Full. All previous created backup files are not affected

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Thanks for another round of interesting questions 👍

c:  For both Data Compression and Deduplication, the change is applied without requiring a new Full. All previous created backup files are not affected

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A - Data Comprenssion requires a new full, Dedup don’t.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

For me it’s C

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
  1. No active full required.

As a bonus though, if you change your storage optimization (eg: block size) you do need to perform an active full backup for the changes to take effect.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I had to think two times about the right answer, since i was first considering Data Block Size change (that requires a new full). On second thought, i would say C. a new Active Full is not required.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Ok, so let’s get to this week’s questions answers. See below...

There’s no need to go through a full explanation for each possible option in the question. The long & short of it is both Data Deduplication and Compression do not require an Active Full to be run when either enabling or disabling. Changes to either take affect to subsequent restore points immediately. The only data configuration change requiring an Active Full is, as Tyler pointed out in his comment, Storage Optimization. Thus, the answer to the question is indeed c. For both Data Compression and Deduplication, the change is applied without requiring a new Full. All previous created backup files are not affected . For more info on each option, see below URL.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/compression_deduplication.html?ver=120

Comment