VMCE Practice Question - 23 April 2024

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Here we are again...another VMCE Practice Question. Are you ready??

Not sure if you saw one of my comments on a previous question from last week, but if you’re following along, you know I shared in a comment I will begin posting the VMCE Practice Questions on definitive days of the week → on Tuesdays and Thursdays; then I’ll provide the answers and links to both questions on Friday. That way you all can anticipate when the follow-ups/answers will be to check your responses.

Questions will begin to get a bit more difficult. So, for today’s question:

Your director wants to make sure the organization is more apt to recover data in the event of a malware incident. You share with her Veeam now has the ability to scan backups for malware. Your director gives the ok for you to enable the File System Analysis option. After a couple backup jobs run, you want to review logs to see if Veeam detected anything, but you're not able to find the Malware_Detection_Logs folder in the ProgramData directory. Why may this behavior occur?

1. Backup jobs do not have Guest File System Indexing enabled
  2. The File System Analysis engine doesn't have a Malware_Detection_Logs folder
  3. You do not have sufficient privileges to view File System Analysis logs
  4. Inline Entropy Scan was not enabled

9 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
  1. Inline Entropy Scan was not enabled
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The answer is - 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hmm i thought it wasnt neccesary for indexing to be enabled to use malware scanning.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/malware_detection_methods.html?ver=120

ah well, something learned today ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

We had enabled both options and didn't have the folder Malware_Detection_Logs…

Is it created after something was found only?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Wow, that could also be the reason @JMeixner .

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It’s a) Backup jobs do not have Guest File System Indexing enabled

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And, the answer is???…………..

Yes, it is A. GREAT job for those who got it correct! Chris provided a screenshot (thank you, Chris), but the User Guide link is:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/malware_detection_guest_index_enable.html?ver=120

And @JMeixner - you are correct, as well. The only thing about that is this wasn’t a possible answer. But if it was, it would be correct. And though it doesn’t explicitly say ‘folder is created only if malware was detected/found’, you can infer that from what is stated in the Guide → From the User Guide:
“Information about detected malware activity is stored in malware detection logs. The path by default: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Malware_Detection_Logs.
Last paragraph at the following link:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/malware_detection_guest_index_hiw.html?ver=120

Well done everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks.  Figured it would help with understanding the question and answer.  😁

Comment