Very Unfortunate move by the Linux Foundation

• 19 January 2024
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Everyone,

The Linux Foundation have moved the goal posts. After April all of their exams will be valid for 2 years only. This is very disappointing and in my opinion completely unwarranted. I had no issues with the CKS being only valid for 2 years since the security landscape changes rapidly. However, I personally don’t agree at all that this is necessary with the CKA and CKAD. As for the Linux exams including the LFCS that I did, it is simply absurd. 

Very very disappointing Linux Foundation. 

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Saw this news earlier today 😞 have they elaborated on their renewal process and costs? Microsoft renewals last a year but they’re free which I don’t mind as it just requires some effort to remain aligned to the technology after certification.

Theres a general training = revenue stream attitude taking place in the industry but let’s be honest how much has changed in Linux in the past 2 years to warrant recertification?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do not care so much about certifications. They are just a way to make money. In Germany, employers don't usually value certifications as much as they do in North America. I've seen people with dozens of certifications who were still unable to perform well. BTW, I prefer the model employed by ISC2, and ISACA by earning CPEs’ etc!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Certifications I found very beneficial. For one they force me to study areas that I might not necessarily if I was just dealing with production. Secondly there has to be some kind of standard otherwise everything is based only on your experience, but what if you are new to the job market and have no experience. 

The problem was not certifications but bad certifications, i.e. the click next next ones and get a prize type of thing. The CKA CKAD were hard certs to earn. If you passed them then one knew you had at least a certain level of knowledge. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. 

By the way I would argue that in North America there is not much respect for certifications either :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Saw this news earlier today 😞 have they elaborated on their renewal process and costs? Microsoft renewals last a year but they’re free which I don’t mind as it just requires some effort to remain aligned to the technology after certification.

Theres a general training = revenue stream attitude taking place in the industry but let’s be honest how much has changed in Linux in the past 2 years to warrant recertification?

Did not hear anything about this, i.e. free renewal so I believe you still have to shell out $400 US,  I think as @Iams3le  said it is all about money :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think this makes Linux aligned with most other certs then. But, as Michael states...does much really change within Linux in a 2yr span? 🤔

I don’t really agree that NA’s care much about certs, at least I don’t think businesses do..not here in the States. Maybe partners do?..I can’t answer for that area. I do think technologists like ourselves like them in general. Like Geoff said, for me as well, it’s about staying relevant and brushing up on what I already use/know. I rarely go outside of what I don’t use/know to get a cert, just for the sake of getting a cert.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yeah in fact now that I think of it, when it came to getting jobs, it was the Veeam Certifications that they really wanted to know about 😂. My problem is being a bit lazy, so certifications forced me to study. 😎

I just think, and this might be uber naive, that if a company offers, cheap, or free training and certs, they can get a flood of new users and folks who know and like their technology. Again this could be the Sys Admin in me talking, not the evil venture capitalist entrepreneur 😂 who I am still yet to find in my psyche. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Bad news! 😐

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder now if this will turn people off of learning this stuff?  I need to get in to Linux more and Kubernetes but if I need to get certified this definitely makes you think twice.

Comment