Rancher Desktop 1.0.0. Stable is now available

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

This is an alternative to Docker Desktop. They have now realized a stable version:

https://www.suse.com/c/rancher_blog/rancher-desktop-1-0-0-has-arrived/

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks @Geoff Burke! Is this only a management OS or it has “virtualization” capability too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thanks @Geoff Burke! Is this only a management OS or it has “virtualization” capability too?

So this would only be for Container management on a laptop or Desktop. Many people used Docker Desktop in windows but Docker are changing their policies and if it is a company laptop or for business use you are now expected to pay. So this would be an alternative. Again look at this as a testing/practice utility or if you are a developer a means to test your apps before production in a local environment. 

cheers

Geoff

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You have made that perfectly clear, thanks @Geoff Burke !!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I just want to say that since I first started looking at K8’s in December of 2020 from complete ignorance, I’ve learned more and found more resources on this Kubernetes Korner than anywhere else.  It’s a great, non-ego environment and I love how you share the knowledge and experiences!   Keep up the great work and thanks for making this a magnetic community!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I just want to say that since I first started looking at K8’s in December of 2020 from complete ignorance, I’ve learned more and found more resources on this Kubernetes Korner than anywhere else.  It’s a great, non-ego environment and I love how you share the knowledge and experiences!   Keep up the great work and thanks for making this a magnetic community!!!

Thanks. When I first started looking at Kubernetes, despite having quite a bit of Linux experience I was to put it mildly “intimidated big time”, what helped enormously were folks out there sharing their experience and ups and downs, reminded me of the Linux newsgroups of the 90’s. A bunch of people who simply enjoy and are having fun working with the technology :) Obviously you are alone in the exam room but everywhere else as group we learn so much faster. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very cool.  Hopefully this one is not as resource intense as Docker when running.  :joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Very cool.  Hopefully this one is not as resource intense as Docker when running.  :joy:

Hard to say. These all in one GUI things tend to be hungry. I am going to try it on an intel Mac then silicon Mac (arm processor) later on to see. I don’t want to mess up my windows or linux setups, I have done that before in a fit of enthusiasm and then cursed myself endlessly from creating so much extra repair work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hard to say. These all in one GUI things tend to be hungry. I am going to try it on an intel Mac then silicon Mac (arm processor) later on to see. I don’t want to mess up my windows or linux setups, I have done that before in a fit of enthusiasm and then cursed myself endlessly from creating so much extra repair work.

Let us know how it compares will be interesting for sure.

Comment