Question

Snapshotting Application Components failing

Backing up pods with a PV fails, the ones without a PV backup fine. 

When using the kubectl get volumesnapshot, I can see the snapshots get created, but I don't see that actual status of it. 

The primer script runs fine, even though I'm on K8s 1.29 which is unsupported technically, the rest runs fine. I'm using the ceph-rbd CSI for my PVs.

However, when I run the primer to check snapshotting specifically, the same problem occurs.

curl -s https://docs.kasten.io/tools/k10_primer.sh | bash /dev/stdin csi -s ceph-rbd

The snapshot object is created, but it's stuck on snapshotting indefinitely.

How do I troubleshoot this? I can't seem to find logging or events related to this.

3 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @B-Lehcim 

As per your mention, Kubernetes version 1.29 is currently not supported, which could potentially cause some issues.
Nevertheless, we can proceed with investigating the problem further. Could you please provide a screenshot of the error encountered during volume snapshotting?

Additionally, if the primer is persistently stuck in the snapshotting process, it might indicate a problem with your CSI provisioner. I suggest checking its logs for any errors.

Furthermore, you can attempt manual volume snapshotting using this provisioner without involving K10. This might help us diagnose the issue more effectively.

There is no error, it's just stuck indefinitely.

So truthfully, I have never used snapshots before. I can create one manually, but it doesn't really tell me whether or not this is successful. Can you give me some pointers on how to troubleshoot the snapshots itself?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello @B-Lehcim,

I would recommend recommend taking a look at the events of the default namespace after running the primer this should state additional problems.

kubectl get ev --sort-by=.metadata.creationTimestamp

Thanks

Emmanuel

Comment