Solved

Pre-flight checks: error message

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi!

I am starting a small lab based on the following Veeam webinar:

The steps to deploy the lab are here:

https://github.com/MichaelCade/project_pace/blob/main/Zero%20to%20Hero%20-%20Kubernetes%20and%20Kasten%20K10.md

I deployed this single environment in Oracle Virtual Box VM and Ubuntu desktop.

But I have being problems with pre-flight checks:

Some components are in error state and trying to restart.

The Kasten GUI is working, but it is presenting the error: Request failed with status code 500 (dashboardbff-svc).

I can create policies but it is not possible to apply the “run once” command, for sample. Nothing happens.

Do you know how can i fix it?

Thanks for your help! :-)

icon

Best answer by Luiz Eduardo Serrano 8 February 2023, 15:48

View original

9 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello @Luiz Eduardo Serrano 
it is mandatory to have your preflight script run successfully.This script runs in a pod in the cluster and does the following:

• Validates if the Kubernetes settings meet the K10 requirements.

• Catalogs the available StorageClasses.

• If a CSI provisioner exists, it will also perform a basic validation of the cluster's CSI capabilities and any relevant objects that may be required. 

2nf point is you can not use the kasten GUI/ dashboard without having most of the k10 up and running, for example, I see the catalog pod is in pending status, similar to etcd in Kubernetes, catalog is a backend store, all the information for everything happens in k10 is stored in the catalog.

Jobs pod also is not running, you can not run any action without that pod up and running.

i recommend fixing the pre-flight check prerequisites in order to have it run and get a summary of what is missing or required in order to have k10 working properly.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks, Hagag! Please, is there any more detailed material for this troubleshooting? I'm not an expert on K8s and if there's some kind of guide it would help a lot. I followed all the steps given in the script but I am stuck now. Luiz.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Based on so much being in a pending state for so long, does Ubuntu have enough resources provisioned to run?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi MicoolPaul. Thanks for your answer. I think so, but I will check again with the requirements. I will also deploy in other vSphere host with more computational power. The pre-flight checks error message is about not being able to find the jq. I deployed it manually but the message remained. Well, I will deploy in other environment tomorrow, following each webinar step, and let you know how it went. Thanks for your help, user group! :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@jaiganeshjk 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Luiz Eduardo Serrano  you can describe the pod to get more insight into why the pods are not running, using the command and trying to fix the issue based on the error message you have in the output.

kubectl describe <POD_NAME> -n kasten-io

but it is much easier to fix the pre-flight checks script to have an overview of what is missing or required in order to have k10 working properly.  

for jq package, your OS has to be able to locate the correct executable. PATH specifies program directories and instructs the system where to search for a program to run.

try to the below commands to search the path of jq ( i think it will fail )
which jq
command -v jq

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi MicoolPaul. Thanks for your answer. I think so, but I will check again with the requirements. I will also deploy in other vSphere host with more computational power. The pre-flight checks error message is about not being able to find the jq. I deployed it manually but the message remained. Well, I will deploy in other environment tomorrow, following each webinar step, and let you know how it went. Thanks for your help, user group! :-)

I don’t think jq is installed by default in Ubuntu but that is not the problem here,You can install jq like this

sudo apt install jq -y

If the pre-script fails then you have to solve the issues it reports first before attempting to install. Although I think you said that you deployed it manually.

What exactly is the script reporting when failing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

By the way I normally also run kubestr as well before doing an installation, although the k10 prescript does similar thing (creates a pod tests csi etc) but I just like to get a benchmark for storage as well.

https://kubestr.io/

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello! I really appreciate everyone's attention and orientation.

I deployed a new environment from scratch in an Openshift environment. No morer errors on K10´s services startup. Everything is fine now!

Thanks! :-)

Comment