Solved

Kasten NFS Backup: Failed to encrypt spec artifact && Failed to encrypt secret spec artifact

Userlevel 2

Hi All, 

I installed the Kasten v 4.5.10 on test k8s cluster and tried more times to take a backup from one namespace on the k8s cluster to the NFS location but I'm facing the attached issue, Please help me.

icon

Best answer by Geoff Burke 20 March 2022, 13:33

View original

12 comments

Userlevel 2

Hi All,

Is anyone had faced the same above issue???

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have not seen anything like this yet. I am assuming it can’t encrypt the wordpress secret for whatever reason, would need to see the logs which you can now get through UI on the dashboard. You could create a small minimal wordpress fresh install in a separate namespace as well and try that to compare. Just a thought but I think the logs should shed more light on this.

Userlevel 2

Hello @Geoff Burke 

Thanks a lot for your response.

Actually, I tried with a small MySQL database, a new namespace, and 
 the default and dashboard namespace of Kubernetes itself, and I've faced the same issue with all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hello @Geoff Burke 

Thanks a lot for your response.

Actually, I tried with a small MySQL database, a new namespace, and 
 the default and dashboard namespace of Kubernetes itself, and I've faced the same issue with all.

Ok we had better see what Kasten support say. can you download the logs and post here as well just out of interest, maybe there is something in them that might give a hint. Should be a download button for logs now in Kasten https://docs.kasten.io/latest/operating/support.html 

Also you could try running those debug scripts too on that page and see if something jumps out.

cheers

Userlevel 2

please find the logs and output of debug scripts attached to  this message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

So in the the failed terminated pods section for the crypto-svc pod I saw this:

{"File":"kasten.io/k10/kio/cryptosvc/masterkey.go","Function":"kasten.io/k10/kio/cryptosvc.(*CryptoSvc).initializeK10MasterKeyAfterCatalogHealthy","Line":45,"cluster_name":"55e7b7aa-a004-4386-a944-3208bdf74ba9","error":{"message":"Cluster passkey Secret not found, but Master Key artifacts are in the catalog.\n\t\tPlease recreate Secret \"k10-cluster-passphrase\" with the K10 cluster passkey"

I am not sure how that happened or if this is the reason for the issues but it sounds related since you had an encrypting the artifact error. Kasten support should be able to tag this better than me so lets see.

cheers

Userlevel 2

Hello Veeam support,

Kindly help us to resolve the mentioned issue.

Thanks in Advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @alaaeldin 

I assume @Geoff Burke was talking about opening a case on https://my.veeam.com.

We are not Kasten K10 support here. We are the veeam community :) We can try to help, but analyzing a technical issue is always much easier with the official vendor support. They have other tools and resources to analyze the debug logs.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Mildur 

Thanks a lot for clarification.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @alaaeldin 

I assume @Geoff Burke was talking about opening a case on https://my.veeam.com.

We are not Kasten K10 support here. We are the veeam community 🙂 We can try to help, but analyzing a technical issue is always much easier with the official vendor support. They have other tools and resources to analyze the debug logs.

Hi Guys,

Yes for sure you can contact support through that link at Veeam as well but they do also note on the Kasten Website that you can put issues in here too since their support people do come through and check. I am guessing that here is for “community” best effort support, and the Veeam link would be for licensed setups, but not completely sure. 

Userlevel 3

Anyone found the solution? I am facing exactly the same issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@tauqeerahmad Cross posting the explanation to your problem

Comment