Question

Is the export of windows volumes possible?

Hi there, I was trying out Kasten as a complete backup solution for my EKS k8s cluster. I was able to succcessfully export volumes of linux pods to S3 but I get mounting problems with the export of windows volumes.

Is it possible to export windows volumes somehow?

9 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

K10 does not verify the operating system of the Pods to capture a snapshot of your application volume. Kindly provide the error message you encounter while attempting to export your Windows app/volumes.

Thanks

Ahmed Hagag

Hi @Hagag,

I’ve sent you the Error Details via DM.

Best Regards

Benjamin Klettbach

Here is the mounting error

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

Initially, I misunderstood and assumed you were referring to the operating system running within the pods. But it seems that your application is utilizing a Windows volume. Due to this, exporting the backup becomes problematic since the filesystem is likely formatted as NTFS, while the "copy-vol-data” expects it to be mounted as ext4.

Windows has a layered filesystem driver to mount container layers and create a copy filesystem based on NTFS

Hello @Hagag,

Thank you for your explanatory answer, I assumed something along the lines. Can you explain how your last paragraph can help me to utilize Kasten to make a Backup of my Kubernetes deployments and volumes?

Best regards

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

At the moment K10 doesn't support export of Snapshot for Windows Nodes / PVCs because the volume will be mounted into a Linux Container. (ext4), as Hagag has explained, that is why you got error during the operation for Windows volumes.

Hope it helps
FRubens

Hello @FRubens,

Yes, it helps. Thank you for the clearification.

Best Regards

Benjamin Klettbach

Is it possible to exclude the PVCs in the meantime?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

That is possible, you can achieve that using Exclude filters, editing your policy you can find it under Select Application Resources:

Add a filter i.e. to exclude all PVCs for that policy or you can add the PVC name to be more specific:

More information about resource filtering can be found in our documentation:

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/protect.html#resource-filtering

FRubens

Comment