Question

Is the export of windows volumes possible?

Hi there, I was trying out Kasten as a complete backup solution for my EKS k8s cluster. I was able to succcessfully export volumes of linux pods to S3 but I get mounting problems with the export of windows volumes.

Is it possible to export windows volumes somehow?

9 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

K10 does not verify the operating system of the Pods to capture a snapshot of your application volume. Kindly provide the error message you encounter while attempting to export your Windows app/volumes.

Thanks

Ahmed Hagag

Hello @FRubens,

Yes, it helps. Thank you for the clearification.

Best Regards

Benjamin Klettbach

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

That is possible, you can achieve that using Exclude filters, editing your policy you can find it under Select Application Resources:

Add a filter i.e. to exclude all PVCs for that policy or you can add the PVC name to be more specific:

More information about resource filtering can be found in our documentation:

https://docs.kasten.io/latest/usage/protect.html#resource-filtering

FRubens

Hi @Hagag,

I’ve sent you the Error Details via DM.

Best Regards

Benjamin Klettbach

Here is the mounting error

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

Initially, I misunderstood and assumed you were referring to the operating system running within the pods. But it seems that your application is utilizing a Windows volume. Due to this, exporting the backup becomes problematic since the filesystem is likely formatted as NTFS, while the "copy-vol-data” expects it to be mounted as ext4.

Windows has a layered filesystem driver to mount container layers and create a copy filesystem based on NTFS

Hello @Hagag,

Thank you for your explanatory answer, I assumed something along the lines. Can you explain how your last paragraph can help me to utilize Kasten to make a Backup of my Kubernetes deployments and volumes?

Best regards

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello @bklettbachibk 

At the moment K10 doesn't support export of Snapshot for Windows Nodes / PVCs because the volume will be mounted into a Linux Container. (ext4), as Hagag has explained, that is why you got error during the operation for Windows volumes.

Hope it helps
FRubens

Is it possible to exclude the PVCs in the meantime?

Comment